Question about Emission Test for those w/ Paxton/SCT Tune

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I plan on taking my car in for its first emission test (the first time they gave me a waiver b/c the car was low) and it has a Paxton with an SCT tune (other mods include high flow exhaust and headers). My question is should i reprogram the tune back to stock for the test or does it not matter and just have the car test as is? And with the elimination of the dynamometer, i'm concern about the sniff test since i don't think my car has cats. Thanks in advance for any inputs. Oh, my car is a 2002.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no cats here and mine passed. i say go for it and if you fail, you can go back..

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your car must pass 3 of OBD2 monitors- you can check this with a scan tool.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your scan tool should have the option right on its menu. Something like "I/M monitor status" or something similar. In MA if any of these tests, with the exception of Evap Monitor, is incomplete or failed then the car won't pass. Check engine light also needs to be off and no codes set. If you reset any codes or clear Check Engine light you will need to drive it some for the tests to re-complete.

OP
OP
S

SSR9999

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your scan tool should have the option right on its menu. Something like "I/M monitor status" or something similar. In MA if any of these tests, with the exception of Evap Monitor, is incomplete or failed then the car won't pass. Check engine light also needs to be off and no codes set. If you reset any codes or clear Check Engine light you will need to drive it some for the tests to re-complete.

Thank you gbatejan, for your insight. Just used the scanner and don't know what these mean as far as whether i'll pass the emission test or not, but a few of the readings are

"Catalyst Mon - OK"
"Htd Catalyst - N/A"
"Oxygen Sens Mon - OK"
"Oxygen Sens Htr - OK"
"EGR System Mon - N/A"
"Sec Air System - N/A"
"Fuel System Mon - OK"

And i don't have check engine light.