Question about Gen 3 brakes on a 2001 Gen 2 car.

1ylwvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Gen 3 brake booster onto a 2001 Gen 2 car?

I recently installed Gen 3 brakes onto my 2001 Gen 2 Viper. I have not tried them on the track yet, but from the one time I had the car on the street they seem to be a big improvement. However, they do not have the feel of the Gen 3 cars awesome pedal feel. There is still a long travel in the pedal and not as solid as the Gen 3's. I was wondering if a Gen 3 brake booster would make it like a Gen 3 car? Any input would be appreciated!

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have gen3 brakes on my 01 gen2 pedal is real firm.

do you have stainless brake lines? that will change pedal feel quite a bit. who did the fluid bleed? that can change it allot. if you did it try a bleed vacuum, and bleed them again after you change the lines.

i don't have a gen3 booster on the car. only the master cyl. i cant comment.

talk to valaya racing 408-297-1990 they have done a ton of gen2 -> gen3 conversions and have the info you seek.

OP
OP

1ylwvpr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have stainless brake lines on the car already. I did the brake bleed myself with a friend. We did it by pumping the pedal and cracking open the bleeder valve. Although it seemed like I got all of the air out, its hard to be sure 100% of it is out. I'll call Valaya to see what they can tell me. Thank you for the information!!!

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The booster is enough large but some people change the master cylinder.
It is on my project list.
Gen3 master cylinder has more volume and this is what will improve your feeling.

Stainless steel break lines only matter when your breaks are red hot ... above 270F.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like an "air in the brake lines" or master cylinder issue.

I too have the Gen III brakes, SS lines and like the feel on the track. True, they are not as powerful / easy to engage firmly as the Gen III's but I think the feel is better, very progressive.

I recently upgraded to Mintex brake pads (some comp coupe's run
these). Big difference. They are almost too touchy and powerful. My GTS really stops now.

Good luck,

Dan

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've purchased them through Parts Rack.
I've also used the Brake Man 4's. Not as grabby
as the Mintex or PFC, but very consistent and long lasting.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brakeman 4's? Eeeeeew. Not as grabby as 3's and I thought 3's sucked compared to PFC 01's...Maybe 4's would be ok with the GEN III - much larger piston sizes, pad surface area and additional torque (due to 14" vs. 13" rotor) but with a stoptech setup Brakeman 4's were, um, bad.

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went back to the track today and yikes John, you were right. Ran 1 session with the Brakeman 4's then switched them out to the Mintex and the difference was night and day. The initial bite of the Mintex was far superior than the Brakemans. I will keep the Brakeman 4's as a last ditch back up. The PFC 01's are also a favorite of mine as well as the Pagid Blacks.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bugeater,

I bought the Mintex pads from Archer Racing at a Viper Days event. Right around $450 - $500 for the set as I recall. It was a very warm day and my stock pads were failing.

I put the Mintex pads on and boy, do they stop you!

No sure how long they'll last or what they'll do to my rotors but they really work well.

Dan