Question about melting door sills

Carl 2002 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the passenger side door sill is bubbling right below the sticker that warns you about the heat. I'm starting to think this probably shouldn't be happening. Seems like the insulation is missing or thin at that spot. Should I expect Dodge to correct it under warranty? Also, I get this funny clunking sound when I back out of my driveway or pull slowly over uneven pavement. Seems like its coming from inside the **** where the tranny and driveshaft are. The dealership's mechanic called it "tin canning". He said the chassis and frame flex at that point and that probably some sheet metal that covers the hunmp is popping in and out. He said its nothing to worry about. Anyone else heard of this in a GTS?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since nobody answered, I'll take a shot. Both are well known problems. The popping sound is more common. It should be proven to be the tin canning sound just to be safe. The melting side sill is less common but some here have experienced it. I don't recall the outcome, but there were a few trying to get Dodge to own up to fixing it.

As a side note, I drove around once without the bottom skid plate on (long story). I got that same popping sound. Once the skid plate was on, sound was gone. The skid plate is an important part of the structural integrity. Maybe yours is loose, tighten down on the bolts a bit.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carl,
I have the same minor bubbling on my driverside sidesill.
It is so minor i am not even bothering to get it fixed.
Also if i did then i would have to replace the snakehead and
viper rt/10 I put on it.
So, seeing that is a minor problem i am going to leave it and live with it.
but i was told by my vipertech if i want it replaced; just ask
no problem.
good luck
JIM

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you remove the sills, you will see a hole that allows heat to sit up in that area and I heard others determine this was the cause. People have solved it by cutting a square of insulation and using hightemp RTV to seal the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine