Question about Oil Change

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be making this more difficult than it needs to be but it's time for my 500 mile oil change.....I live in a small town, we have a Dodge dealership but I cannot imagine them having a Viper Tech, I know plenty of "car guys" that race here in town (big race town since Mark Martin lives here) that could do it for me or I could do it myself....my dilemma is making sure that the oil change is documented adequately for resale (probably will not happen) or heaven forbid warranty issues.... I could take it to a bigger city such as Little Rock or Memphis but really don't wanna drive 200-250 miles round trip for an oil change unless that's the best thing to do.... I guess I'm looking for some insight into how other Viper owners handle similar situations or if purchasing the Mobile 1 and doing it myself and saving the receipt is adequate or should I take it somewhere that it would be documented..... thanx in advance.... keith...ps....it's difficult for me to trust just anyone with my dream car....

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a period of time where we did not have a Viper Tech around so I had a buddy show me how and I did my own oil changes. Very good feeling to do it yourself. I would call the dealership in town and ask if they have a SRT tech on hand. If they don't, I would just DIY.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it yourself, keep your reciepts, track your service dates in Excel or a maintenance book, and write your date and mileage on the oil filter in permanent ink. This should be enough proof for future owners if needed.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good lord you dont need a viper tech to do this-- its a oil plug and filter just like the k- car.. most important you need a quality minded person to do this. period,, and just like doctors and lawyers, there is allways the one that passed at the bottom of the class....

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the oil and filter is not a big deal on a Viper is just like any other car . Is nothing like the lambos or Ferrari.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you change it yourself, make sure the car stays level. Easy like others have stated.

Bruce

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is definitely very easy to take care of yourself.
Just make sure that the rubber oil filter ring is not stuck to the oil filter housing BEFORE you screw on the new oil filter.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea that's all well and good but not everybody has access to a lift and/or ramps out in their garage.
Bring it to somewhere who can properly lift it, bring them the oil filter (so you know it is correct) and watch as they do it.
It's quite simple but even that can be messed up.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 miles for every oil change? That is just ridiculous.

Do it yourself... and wait for at least 3,000 miles. The Viper is still just a car and (unless your tracking the car), 500 miles per oil change is just a waste of money.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
500 miles for every oil change? That is just ridiculous.

Do it yourself... and wait for at least 3,000 miles. The Viper is still just a car and (unless your tracking the car), 500 miles per oil change is just a waste of money.

If he bought the car brand new the VERY FIRST oil change is recommended at 500-700 miles. Then every 3K miles after that.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put mine up on 4 jack stands so it's level. Nothing to it.

As far as records, I tend to stock on on Viper oil filters and Mobil 1 oil when I find a deal, so I don't have receipts matching the dates of when I do mine. I just take pictures that are dated showing the new oild and filter before anything is done, the empty oil containers and old filter after finishing, and the odometer. Then I email them to myself with mileage and date listed again in the email and file it away. I never thought about writing the date and mileage on the filter. That's a good idea I'll have to start doing.

Another good thing to do that will help with re-sale (at least showing you took care of the car) AND give you service date and mileage records is to send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs each time you do an oil change. It's like $20 or so and you get a full report of conditions. I have started doing it on all my vehicles. Hopefully they will catch anything that might be going bad and you can take care of it before it actually goes bad and causes more damage.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Get yourself some Mobil 1 0-40W or the Dealership will likely put in Pennzoil 5-40W since there is a new contract with Pennzoil/Shell.

12 quarts and make sure the arms on the lift are low enough to go under the car, or you might even think of taking to a Jiffy Lube ,etc. that has the hole in the ground, so you just need to drive over and they can change from below. A bunch of guys years ago went to some of the quick lube places and asked if the could get a break on oil changes if they brought in a picture of their car to be posted in the waiting room. One guy did a 11 x 14 , signed it with a thank you note for changing his oil , had it framed and the store was giving him free service if he brought in the oil and filter -- heh, you never know!?

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+ 1 on the Blackstone Labs. It's like $25 per sample sent and you get back alot of important info. Luckily, my brother-in-law has a 2-post lift for this stuff. With the 2-post lift it's a breeze.:)

OP
OP
K

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx everyone....I really appreciate the feedback.... definitely some great ideas... I have to say that all the stuff I've read on this forum about how helpful everyone is, is all true... btw, it is a new Viper, to respond to the 500 mile oil change comment...:)
keith

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hardest part of that oil change will be getting car on Jack stands. Mine is lowered so I have to run over a few boards just to clear a low profile jack

11 quarts and a viper specific filter and you will be set. Very simple. Not like other cars like someone else mentioned, I have a M3 that I had to change the oil in last week,,, Had to read about how to for 20 minutes and then still doubled checked everything as I went, what a pain in the Ass that was.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have my tech change the oil just because I want him to know the car and have an eye out when somethings not right. You gotta get the right guy, dealership is certainly no guarentee of that. Meet the guy and talk to him. never give your key to anyone but your guy, or insist on driving it in the bay yourself. As mentioned before, always check the clearance.

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just changed my oil in my 2008 Viper after 4K miles/2 years on the current oil (car driven on street and not used for racing and currently with 5700 miles) and I sent a sample to Blackstone lab. The results were perfect and they recommended that I increase my oil change interval to every 5k miles.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always done all my minor services my self (oil, brake fluid, pad changes, etc) and because i track all my cars have never kept good oil change interval records. I was changing it constantly. It's never hurt resale. If someone won't buy the car without anal-retentive record keeping someone else will. I drive my cars a lot. If i didn't do the maint. right they would stop running...simple as that.

I bought my car in June and am on my 3rd oil change, second brake/clutch fluid flush, and 1st diff and tranny change since buying it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala