Question about rear suspension?

Hav One

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am needing to replace the rear outer and "inner" tie rod's on both sides of my 04 viper. First of all, is the inner tie rod called the link rod or toe link? I am asking
because I am looking to purchase all the parts needed to make the change. I will not be doing the swap myself, but I am looking at purchasing the parts elsewhere. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best place to find replacements? Have slightly used ones they need to get rid of?

I appreciate the help! :D

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the rear suspension, the end of the toe link assembly that attaches to the knuckle (the "outer") has a tie rod end. The inboard end of the toe link has no tie rod end joint and terminates in a bolt to the frame through a hole in the toe link arm itself. Also note that there are special adjustment shims at the center point of the toe link that set the basic geometry of the link, with an additional adjustment on the threaded tie rod end itself. Replacing this assembly would typically require an alignment/measurement of rear toe, since any change in the length of the link assembly changes your alignment. There is another flex joint under the rubber boot midway up the toe link which could potentially wear with high mileage.

The rear tie rod end normally would have a long lifetime (longer than the ball joint) and I have not heard of problems with them on Vipers. Is there detectable free play in the tie rod ends?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte