Question for the Junkman

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buying a new car, Satin White Pearl is the color. What would you recommend to do when I get the car? Clay and start fresh?

The car will be built in the next few weeks and then shipped here to this country. This means the paint will be a new as it can be. (approx. 6 weeks old) Not like some cars sitting at the dealers for months on end.

What would you do in this case?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drive it.... :drive:

:usa:

Well yes... I would definitely agree with that! :2tu:

The first thing you need to do is inform the dealership hacks not to put their crappy rotary polishers and wash mitts on it. They will probably try and make the car look presentable for delivery. That will be the worst thing that they can do to your car. They will install swirls and worst case scenario, scratches. Plus, they will probably use some product that ain't really all that great. Make them keep their grubby paws off of it. They will not care for it like you will.

Now here's what you need to do. Every part of detailing has a gauge. You don't just clay paint because it is something that you've heard is good to do, you check the paint for the necessity of claying (baggie test). If the paint passes the test, there is no need to clay. If it fails, then you clay. Never do anything to paint just to be doing it. There is always a reason for everything you do to paint.

If the paint does not need claying (or if you did clay), then the next thing to look at in the process is polishing. Polishing is what makes the paint shine. What you need to do is pick a small area on the car, mask off about a 1 foot area with blue painters tape and polish that area. Hopefully, you'll be using a machine like the PC-7424XP, a white pad and a lite polish like Meguiar's M205 or Adam's Fine Machine Polish. Once you have polished that area, remove the tape and compare it to the area around it. If the area you polished is more shiny than the rest of the car, then the whole car needs to be polished. You shouldn't need to get any more aggressive with the polish I've suggested unless the dealership has swirled up the paint with their tactics. Also, don't buy any over the counter crap. Start out doing it right from day one and your paint will love you 10 years from now. It's a Viper. Treat it as such.

If you find out that there is no need for polishing, then the only thing you need to do is wash and wax it. Do not wax a dirty car. That shouldn't have to be said but I see guys do it all the time. In choosing a wax, go with a sealant. Sealants are more work to put on the car but they last a lot longer than anything else. They must be applied in a specific way and in very thin coats! I don't care what you read, nothing last for a year unless you plan to never drive the car, leave it in a temperature controlled garage and covered. What a waste of a car.

Once all that is done, drive the damn thing like you stole it. :headbang:

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for that info.:2tu:

I am going to print it out and go over it a few times before the car gets here. This way I have a better idea of what I am going to do.

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since no one else asked, and I'm curious, what car are you getting? :drive:

Since I am unable to get in and out of a Viper at this time ("broken" back) I have an '11 4-door Subaru WRX STI Limited on order.

It will make a great DD and hold me over until I hopefully get well enough for a Viper.:drive:

No, I am not a ricer. I love all kinds of cars and enjoy driving in rain and snow also. Thus this car as my choice for now.

Thanks for asking.:)

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice Jerome! The STi is a fantastic car, and the pearl white is a great color. The seats in the Subie will be much easier on your back as well.
I am no detailing expert like Junkman, but I will say that if your car is shipped by train from the port to your area make sure you look very closely for rail dust. Other then that, drive the hell out of it and enjoy!

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great choice Jerome! The STi is a fantastic car, and the pearl white is a great color. The seats in the Subie will be much easier on your back as well.
I am no detailing expert like Junkman, but I will say that if your car is shipped by train from the port to your area make sure you look very closely for rail dust. Other then that, drive the hell out of it and enjoy!

Thanks, this car I am going to drive and enjoy every minute! It really is a fun car to drive and will surprise people on what it can do.

I looked at the car in every color, which was not easy and they make so few of them, (lots of trips to many dealers in 3 states) and the Satin White Pearl looked the best to me.:)

Not sure how the car will be shipped except for the container from Japan. After that, no idea. I do know they arrive at the dealer with that "wrap" on them and the paint is all covered up. That and the wheels (BBS) have those plastic discs on them.

I am working with the dealers owner not a salesman, so I know he will make sure the car is perfect for me. I will mention not to use any buffers on it, but if there is a need, I will assess it and then decide if I want to do it or have a shop take care of it.

The seats in it, great! So comfortable and form fitting. I got in and was in no pain at all in them. Even after a pretty long drive in the demo car that I got to test out.

Hey Jerome - Any progress on your coffee table?

Very sorry to hear about your back - Get well soon!!

Dan

Hey Dan!

Nothing to report in the table area. Trying to do as little physically as possible right now. Maybe this weekend I will get some dimensions and place the order for the glass.

I will be sure to post up when I have it done. I have a few ideas on just what I want to do, just need to make up my mind.

Thank you for the well wishes!

Jerome

OP
OP
J

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this.

Car came in and I picked it up 3.5 weeks ago.

Paint is great! I guess this special order got special attention in that department.

I asked the dealer to just "unwrap" the car and do not do anything short of a delicate wash with mild carwash. That is what they did.

Once home, 180 miles on car at this point, I washed the car and went over every inch of it. Not one nick, chip, nothing. Took a plastic bag and ran it over the paint, smooth as a babys ass. No need to clay bar here.

Car got one coat of sealer/glaze on it, and is waiting for me to find time to wax it. I should state that I have been using Mothers products for years and have no need to switch. Some day I will post a pic of my detail cabinet. You won't believe how much is in there.

So for now the car sits in the garage with its cover on it, waiting for me to get the wax on it, and then off to get the *Ventureshield installed*

The installer will remove the wax before installing. Either way, I tried not to get any sealer or wax on those areas.

Just one pic of the car on the showroom floor the day I picked it up.
Oh well, can't upload a 1.05mb pic. Says too big

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything turned out fine with your new STi. What a fun car!

How is your recovery coming along?

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a follow up to this.

Car came in and I picked it up 3.5 weeks ago.

Paint is great! I guess this special order got special attention in that department.

I asked the dealer to just "unwrap" the car and do not do anything short of a delicate wash with mild carwash. That is what they did.

Once home, 180 miles on car at this point, I washed the car and went over every inch of it. Not one nick, chip, nothing. Took a plastic bag and ran it over the paint, smooth as a babys ass. No need to clay bar here.

Car got one coat of sealer/glaze on it, and is waiting for me to find time to wax it. I should state that I have been using Mothers products for years and have no need to switch. Some day I will post a pic of my detail cabinet. You won't believe how much is in there.

So for now the car sits in the garage with its cover on it, waiting for me to get the wax on it, and then off to get the *Ventureshield installed*

The installer will remove the wax before installing. Either way, I tried not to get any sealer or wax on those areas.

Just one pic of the car on the showroom floor the day I picked it up.
Oh well, can't upload a 1.05mb pic. Says too big

Two things. Here's a link that explains how to resize images for uploading. Second, there are quite a few brands of waxes and sealants that you can use that will last a lot longer than anything Mother's sells. If that is the goal you wish to achieve, I would look into some other choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456