Question for those with puke tank catch can

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a catch can on my Gen1 with venting from both valve covers to the can. I have the top of the can piped into the airbox to get some vaccum and have it act like a PCV.

When I dump out the can, the mixture looks horrible. It looks like the typical light brown oil & water mixture. My oil looks just fine, no discoloration indicating water/etc.

Is it typical for the catch can mixture to not look like normal oil in the pan?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like my catch can (that's on a GEN III).
It's tough to describe the contents without being lewd, but it's not pretty too say the least: thick, viscous brown liquid, with some water mixed in.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Condensate will form inside the valve covers etc. and be displaced as steam once the engine gets hot. It will condense again when it hits the cooler puke can and emulsify in combination with the oil mist. Hence the nasty goo.

This illustrates the concern of people that start their cars in the winter etc for 15 minutes to "warm them up." When in actuality they are simply spreading the water around as the engine never gets hot enough to vaporize the water into steam and displace it.

OP
OP
T

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. Good to hear that it's normal. It's been in the back of my mind for a while, gnawing on my sanity. :)

BTW, how often do you have to dump it?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's why it's called a 'puke' tank. If the contents were pretty, it'd be called a pretty tank.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 RT/10. What in the hell are you guys talking about...catch can? Do I have one of these?

Not on stock engines. But...there's a small foam pad in the back of the airbox where the PVC vent tube connects. That's where your crankcase vapors 'puke' to. After some time it looks pretty nasty. So, you're not really missing out if you don't have puke tank (catch can).

Last edited:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've resorted to emptying mine at every fill up.
But mine is a daily driver.

I've noticed that the catch can fills up MUCH quicker on longer trips.
On my annual trip to Orlando (15 hours each way, straight through), I'll have a full can when I get to the hotel.
Same thing after the 1001 mile return trip.

Thanks for the graphic, Baz.
LOL

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Condensate will form inside the valve covers etc. and be displaced as steam once the engine gets hot. It will condense again when it hits the cooler puke can and emulsify in combination with the oil mist. Hence the nasty goo.

This illustrates the concern of people that start their cars in the winter etc for 15 minutes to "warm them up." When in actuality they are simply spreading the water around as the engine never gets hot enough to vaporize the water into steam and displace it.

Shah-zam, Dave!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've resorted to emptying mine at every fill up.
But mine is a daily driver.

I've noticed that the catch can fills up MUCH quicker on longer trips.
On my annual trip to Orlando (15 hours each way, straight through), I'll have a full can when I get to the hotel.
Same thing after the 1001 mile return trip.

Thanks for the graphic, Baz.
LOL

If you track the car, a hard long right hand corner will force the oil from the drivers side valve cover into the can. This is exacerbated by aftermarket rockers which allow more oil to the upper cylinder area. If you do not have the can (oem pcv) and pull the intake and heads you will be shocked by what the interior runners looks like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang