Question on car in classifieds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think my 2000 is the most amazing piece of fun to drive! The non-ABS is part of that.

Coming from a C6 Z06 I made the transition exactly because of all the Nannies to a car that demands all of my attention and so much more skill and care. Not flat-spotting the tires and finding the greatest decelleration technique is part of the package. The 2000 Rocks!

BTW I was watching Speed channel the other day and they were mentioning the race cars transitioning from ABS to non-ABS as it makes for faster lap times. :drive:

A hightech super expensive (worth more than our entire car) system could stop faster than non ABS - probably. Our ABS surges the brakes and I doubt that the ABS could come close to a good driver that just brakes at the threshold (7-11% tire slippage) since it prevents the tire from skidding. Our ABS purpose is to use less brakes and allow control for turning around corners - not designed for max deceleration. Most of us are probably better than ABS under good conditions. In bad conditions some of us (the "I want nannies crowd") would panic and skid off the road. ABS and non-ABS both have advantages and disadvantages. An excellent driver will outperform any normal priced nannies easily and that's why the ACR should have a OFF switch on it's ABS system. Since it's the fastest road car in the world, perhaps it's just perfect the way it is and ABS doesn't slow it down any more than Ferrari or Porsche's ABS systems do?

I like my ABS as it does the brake pressure proportioning for me and I don't have to attempt to spend days trying to perfect my front - rear brake balance after installing lightweight 14" front brakes and 43mm rear calipers! I would suggest that this GTS could have improved braking from a set of Tom's rear calipers and 14" front brake kit, and adjustable proportioning valve.

I did write to Larry Macedo and he liked the car when he saw it quite a while ago.

There are several GTSs for about this price in the classifieds and another thread for a modified 650R for $40K.

Ted

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ACR is sold as of today for $37,000. The buyer is thrilled to get the car and lives in Grand Junction. All of a sudden, within 2 days, I had 4 serious buyers. Glad to have generated so much discussion on my ad. Now I will only have my SLK 55 AMG to have fun with and my daily driver Chrysler 300 with 162,000 miles and still driving like new. Am really going to miss the ACR but my shoulder problems made the decision for me.

Reaction score
ACR is sold as of today for $37,000. The buyer is thrilled to get the car and lives in Grand Junction. All of a sudden, within 2 days, I had 4 serious buyers. Glad to have generated so much discussion on my ad. Now I will only have my SLK 55 AMG to have fun with and my daily driver Chrysler 300 with 162,000 miles and still driving like new. Am really going to miss the ACR but my shoulder problems made the decision for me.

Congrats, great deal for both of you.
Good luck, Steve

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

:beer:

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a sweet deal and glad that your car sold so quickly (maybe a good thing I posted lol). I guess "supply and demand" spoke and being that this car posted and sold in 4 days show that this was a sweet deal. I know I would have jumped on it had I not bought my 2000 ACR last May. Sounds like you still have nice rides though and hope the shoulder heals well. Cheers.

vviperr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments. I intend to stay active in the Viper community. My doc thinks he can fix my shoulder with intensive therapy. Do I see another Viper in my future? Who knows? All I can say that the Viper people I have had the pleasure to meet at club functions are great folks and I intend to stay in contact with many of them.

And John Johns, I intend to visit you annually in Grand Junction to visit you and my ACR. Sorry to the rest of you wanting to buy the car.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have a moderator stating (not an opinion) that a 2000 viper acr with 24k miles with 20k in upgrades is not a steal for $37900. I am sure the member selling the car sure appreciates the moderator's help and opinion in promoting the sale of his car for him. Have fun with your (redacted) club and 'member'ship, if this what it's all about, then I have no interest.

Man, I'm a little late to the game but just in case you still sign on occasionally...kill yourself :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
beyond a steal?? I know of a 5,000 mile, all original 2002 bumble bee that just sold for $35,000. How is this beyond a steal.. ? I think low $30's would move it. Market for these Gen.2 cars is dead.

WRONG:pile:on your opinion of this GTS (and on the bumblebee, there must have been a story)

I guess "supply and demand" spoke and being that this car posted and sold in 4 days show that this was a sweet deal.

Bingo:)

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For anyone thinking of doing a supercharger and the other usual mods that accompany the same this was a really good deal, not to mention that Steel Gray is arguably one of the nicest colors ever for a Viper and as we all know, it was only avaialble in 2000.

Best of luck to the buyer and hope your shoulder gets better to the seller!

John Johns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the kind words. It's nice to be back with friends! Just reconnected with friends in the Colo-Utah-Wyo Club and found out VOI 11 is right here in SLC not far away. What a great day!

PittsS2B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase John Johns, you got a heck of a deal, but I am sure you already know that.
4 days to sell that car in this economy tells you that it WAS a steal, contrary to the nay-sayers here.
I have had 40,000 trouble free miles on my 2000, and believe it or not have been able to stop all this time without ABS.

Now, to address twig-snake's comments.

The forged internals are of value if you plan to modify.]

Already modified, but I guess you didn't read that part.

[Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with a cast engine if you plan to just enjoy your Viper. ABS is nice but not a dealbreaker if you like the car].

All of that can be changed. Trust me on this one......:rolaugh:

It's a beautiful car. If you like it, buy it.

Besides, a "bad year" Viper is still better than most sports cars out there.

The "enthusiast" questions Leslie's opinion... Hmmmm.....:smirk:

[1. She wasn't made a moderator because of her lack of "Viper knowledge"..:rolleyes:]

What kind of 'Viper knowledge' requires enforcement of posting rules?

[2. She "tracks" her car. Has for years. She modifies her car. She's getting ready to do a BB mod. (That's BIG BRAKE for the "enth...."...uneducated.) She knows what she is talking about. OPINION is key word here.]

Wrong yet again, she has only tracked her viper for one season, used her Z-06 for tracking before, but I guess you never read that either. If ABS is so great, why is she putting a BB kit on?

[3.I would/could go on but all of the "MEMBERS" here already know of Leslie's experience and credentials.....
}]

Please enlighten us with YOUR vast knowledge of her experience and knowledge, because as I see it, one season of tracking a viper does not qualify as vast experience, but you must.:rolleyes:

Hey mods did I violate any rules with this post?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought you were leaving us ?

Stop talking to him...maybe he will get the hint :dunno:. He's like a 2 year old that keeps saying 'mama, mama, mama'...you know what I mean :rolleyes:. I'm glad vviperr's viper got sold, so at least all the whining in this thread didn't hurt his sale :2tu:.

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
beyond a steal?? I know of a 5,000 mile, all original 2002 bumble bee that just sold for $35,000. How is this beyond a steal.. ? I think low $30's would move it. Market for these Gen.2 cars is dead.

LOL, Good to see that there are SELF proclaimed experts on this site. GEN 2 DEAD?? EVERY car is selling cheaper now. ALL vipers have dropped for NOW. However Selling a car depends on price, condition and IF the owner is willing to sell it at a low price. Many are willing right now. GEN 2 vipers will always be the most popular reguardless of their price. DEAD?? You must be kidding!!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vviperr congrats on the quick sale! John Johns...you purchased an awesome Viper and it truly is a great deal! Looking forward to some pics as well as your impressions when you get a chance to drive it. Enjoy! :2tu: We'll save that for a new thread. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte