Question on cleaning 3M clear guard

TexasSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New to this site and thanks, in advance, for any help here. I just purchased a gen 3 and it has 3M EVERYWHERE ! Which is fine because the paint is perfect except the stuff seems very hard to clean. Especially on the sills where the passengers seem to love to drag their feet. It leaves black marks that seem to take WAY to much rubbing with car wash soap to remove. Is there a product that anyone recommends to clean the 3M material?

Thanks again.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 3M Clear Bra can actually be polished clean with a very light polish, such as Meguiar's M205 (from their Mirror Glaze line). The secret is (and you MUST ensure this), is that what you have on your car is actually a 3M product. That is the only clear bra product that I can speak for. Other clear bras may be just as susceptible to polishing but I have only done so on 3M's clear bra material (I have even wet sanded it to remove scratches). You don't have to use a buffer to do this, just a hand applicator and a little polish. You will find that this not only removes the scuff marks, it also removes any minor scratches that may be in the clear bra. A orbital buffer would work faster but is not necessary. Under no circumstances would you ever touch that film with a rotary polisher.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple Green, then detail spray.

Simply Green has the capability to pit aluminum. It was also found to be the reason military a Blackhawk was brought down because it was left on the engine too long. I definitely wouldn't use it on that film.

F

FrgMstr

Simply Green has the capability to pit aluminum. It was also found to be the reason military a Blackhawk was brought down because it was left on the engine too long. I definitely wouldn't use it on that film.

*** kind of logic is that? :rolaugh: I know you are god of detailing, but chemistry is not your bag. Here is the MSDS for your perusal.

Been using it for years on the clear bras on my Vipers. Works GREAT for cleaning off the bugs and getting off the track residue. No engine failure or degeneration of aluminum parts yet.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** kind of logic is that? :rolaugh: I know you are god of detailing, but chemistry is not your bag. Here is the MSDS for your perusal.

Been using it for years on the clear bras on my Vipers. Works GREAT for cleaning off the bugs and getting off the track residue. No engine failure or degeneration of aluminum parts yet.

This is from the Simple Green website, not my words or any other third party. If it is this bad for aluminum, I don't want it on my paint or clear bra at all.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green® Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What on earth does Simple Green's effect on aluminum have to do with using it as a cleaner on high tech UV retarding plastic material like 3M clear bra? By its nature the clear bra material is resistant to chemicals and UV degrading.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What on earth does Simple Green's effect on aluminum have to do with using it as a cleaner on high tech UV retarding plastic material like 3M clear bra? By its nature the clear bra material is resistant to chemicals and UV degrading.

The main reason that I bring it up is I wouldn't want Simple Green to start peeling the edges of the clear bra up. We all understand how undesirable that would be. The second reason that I bring it up is that if it is that bad for aluminum, it must also be bad for your paint. That's why I wouldn't use it on my clear bra when a polish, which is safe on both, if just as effective and will shine and remove scratches at the same time. A polish is way more beneficial than any kind of cleaner.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The second reason that I bring it up is that if it is that bad for aluminum, it must also be bad for your paint.
I am not trying to be a wise a$$; but, demonstrating the flaw in this logic. Putting water on bare steel (for example, brake rotors) causes them to oxidize rapidly. i.e., rust. Even knowing that, I have no qualms about using water on my paint. The point that is being made in Simple Green's advice is that Simple Green acts to accelerate the oxidation process of Aluminum. That doesn't mean that it will attack paint any worse than some other cleaners. Having said that, your advice about using what you have found to be easy and effective is very good. I also shy away from getting chemical concoctions on my paint that weren't designed with that in mind.

F

FrgMstr

Anyway....spray on the Simple Green, let is soak for a couple minutes, wipe off, then clean with a detail spray and it will be picture pretty. :)

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not trying to be a wise a$$; but, demonstrating the flaw in this logic. Putting water on bare steel (for example, brake rotors) causes them to oxidize rapidly. i.e., rust. Even knowing that, I have no qualms about using water on my paint. The point that is being made in Simple Green's advice is that Simple Green acts to accelerate the oxidation process of Aluminum. That doesn't mean that it will attack paint any worse than some other cleaners. Having said that, your advice about using what you have found to be easy and effective is very good. I also shy away from getting chemical concoctions on my paint that weren't designed with that in mind.

I can appreciate your way of thinking except for one part. There is absolutely no danger in the slightest way from using polish which not only resolves the problem, but is safer for the paint, film and adhesive that holds the film to the car. Safe being the key word here, no matter how long the polish is in contact with the clear film or paint. When you just use simple logic, polish just makes more sense.

But hey, it's the OP who has to make the call. Let's see what he thinks.

F

FrgMstr

There is absolutely no danger in the slightest way from using polish which not only resolves the problem, but is safer for the paint, film and adhesive that holds the film to the car.

Yes exactly, and Simple Green is totally safe for the paint, film, and adhesive.

wing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used the same kits used to clean headlight lens on my clear bra. Can not remember the brand of the clean bra.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plexus is made as a plastic cleaner and polisher. That is what it does. Plexus also helps coat the clear bra to protect it from what I understand. It always left a nice "just waxed" feeling on my clear bra. It is easy to use and is made for this type of application. Forget things that may or may not be right and get what has been used on plastics for years. Plexus is also used to polish and protect other plastics and used a lot by pinball machine techs to clean and polish the plastic pieces.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plexus is made for hard plastics not urethane. Plexus will actually case a chemical reaction with urethane and burn out the film which will cause the film to absorb dirt and look yellow. There have been numerous tests done regarding plexus. Do not use anything with petroleum distillates in it period.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so what works for one person does not work for others. I have some scuffs on my clear bra too on the side sills from getting out ofthe car when it is hot. Not sure how to remove those marks.

Bruce

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I offer up a light polish. It works on paint and the clear bra equally effectively.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce,

I have those same scuffs...arg...and am considering taking it off my side sills. Light polish won't get it off.

Ron

so what works for one person does not work for others. I have some scuffs on my clear bra too on the side sills from getting out ofthe car when it is hot. Not sure how to remove those marks.

Bruce

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I polished by hand but when the material gets hot and is touched by getting out of the car it leaves a pretty good scar.

Bruce

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should polish out by hand with some elbow grease but a machine would make child's play of the scuff.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need anything more powerful than a Porter-Cable 7424XP. That would be plenty, along with a white pad (not the crappy pad that comes with the polisher), and a very light polish like Meguiar's M205.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456