Question On Gasoline

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will any premium gasoline do the job?

Or does it have to be Mobil, Texaco, etc.

Some local stations are quite a bit cheaper that others.

What do you think?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use Amoco 1 Premium (93 Octane). I am sure that other stations have good premium gas but I always stick with Amoco .... just my preference.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I only use Chevron which sells 94 octane up here. Don't know if you can get that in the US. I've thought about going to the airport and trying 100 octane to see what that does though.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have used only sunoco 94
and have no problems
smile.gif

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW This topic came up in the C5 registry a while back. Bottom line is, the only difference in product is the additive mixture. Interesting recommendation from the die hards: Go with one brand up to a yr at a time. That way if the detergents in one brand fail to remove deposits, another brands might.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TorQ ****** is correct. In fact, for the vast majority of gasoline sold in the US, the base fuel is "fungible" or exchanged. For example, US refineries fill pipelines with 93 octane, pipelines fill storage tanks, and only when a tank truck is filled is the gasoline additized. It is the additive that makes one fuel different than another.

Minor exceptions: Amoco markets their gasolines in some areas as "clear" because their refineries use some different processes. But because it costs money to keep this product segregated in the pipeline and storage systems, it's not available everywhere. Same for non-standard octane grades, such as 94 or 95.

Vehicle tests show that additives in gasolines should have completed their "cleaning" job after 5 tank fulls. If you think you have a deposit problem and it's not going away after 5 tanks, time to switch. Same tests show that convenience store brands almost always only have a "maintenance" level of additives, while *some* majors have a "clean-up" level of additives.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eng 12

Bill- Ah Hah. Yes -That's Haffners that sells the racing fuel.

I live about 2 miles away from there.

Thanks Guys!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala