question on side pipe covers/insulation

ukviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, I have repainted my side pipe covers and have re-installed the insulation. And now have a silly question, where does the sidepipe cover mount to the body? What I mean is, there are two layers of insulation, a flexable foil that is stapled to a harder shell. Now does the metal of the body slide between the two layers of insulation?, or does it go between the aluminum of the sidepipe cover and the insulation. I ask as the first layer of insulation is pretty tight against the sidepipe cover, dont want to force it and find I am mounting it the wrong way.

Nick

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, on a GenII the metal flange of the body is between the side sill cover and the insulation. I don't think a GenI would be any different. I also don't think that there would be room to pinch the insulation between the body flange and the side sill, furthermore, I don't think you'd get a screw through both the cover and the insulation as some of them are quite short.
Hope this helps. If anyone has an different take on this, feel free to flame me!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From top to bottom (starting on the upper side) the layers on my '94 are

side pipe cover
steel rail from frame
insulation
insulation
muffler
insulation
insulation

and bottom of side pipe cover reaches under body. Yes, I push a lot to compress or bend the insulation to get all the holes to line up. If you don't have a second set of hands, get a rug because you'll drop and drag the cover on the ground. It isn't an elegant fitment.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
search on recent posts about putting an insulator between the parts so the aluminum doesn't touch the steel.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've pulled mine off a number of times to do logging with my wideband. I suggest putting the insulation around the exhaust pipe first and tying to get it snug under the top rail. You should be able to remove the insulation from the side sill cover. At least mine came off without issue or damage. The insulation shouldn't get in the way of the screws for the sidesill.