Question on SRT-10 Clutch

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new (250 mile) SRT-10. When first engaging the clutch to move in first gear I sometimes get a slight "shudder". Sometimes I do not. This is different from ny 01 GTS. In that car I can get a smooth clutch engagement everytime starting out. IS this something common to the SRT-10 or just my car? How does your SRT-10 do? thanks, Fred

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a bad clutch, I say in as much as this is about the only problem you will have from it. About every third or forth one comes out like this. A slight chatter on take off, and usually they have a very poor engagement. These clutches are not a very refined piece. They are not very good for getting on it, as they will slip and burn easily. I strongly recommend going to the Center Force Dual Friction. You will notice a big difference when going to second under a load. You will then know your oem clutch is slipping quite a bit. So you can let the dealer replace the fac. clutch for no charge, and have the same poor clutch or now you have a good reason to put in a comp flywheel and Center Force. I can get you the Center Force for around $475.00 Clutch/pressure plate.

The chatter is usually caused from the disc not engaging against the pressure plate evenly. I hate a clutch like that.

Skip White

ps; I'm having an aluminum flywheel made now. I'ts a prototype. Can't waite

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip: thanks for the info. How much labor/cost involved in RR the clutch? Also, are you sure that as many as 1 in 3 new SRT-10's have this problem?

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skip: I took the car out today and tried to duplicate what I thought I felt the other day but could not do it. I tried everything I could to see if the clutch was slipping but it was tight. I must have mistook what I heard for clutch chatter. Today's test rules it out, much to my delight! Fred :)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fred.
Another possibility is a rattle from the exhaust system. Sometimes when I let my clutch out in first, I can hear and feel a shuddering. Believe it is from the side exhaust. There is a TSB on this. The technician can relieve the sound by triming a flange near the exhaust.

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul: thanks for the info! what year is your SRT-10 and do you know how I can get a look at the TSB you mentioned?

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred, the light chatter is somewhat normal, for such a big clutch, and one that is not of great design. The reason you don't allways feel it, is that it must engage at that same spot. I'm on my 8th Viper and yes, 1 out of 3 seem to have a light chatter upon takeoff. As for the exhaust system, well yes, mine does that, it is a result of the light chatter, shaking the exhaust system. The exhaust system is sensitive to this since it is mounted on rubber mounts. The R&R to do this is around $250.00 to $350.00 depends where you go. It would be nice to have a Dodge dealer do it, that way if they do something wrong, they will fix it. And you say your clutch does not slip, It does under a hard load, when you put the Center Force in, you will know it's been slipping, as you shift into second, and the car lunges forward nicely in a way you have not felt. NO chatter, smoother engagement, very hard to wear out, nice upgrade.

Skip White

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Skip! Sure would like to hear opinions from other SRT-10 owners on this issue. thanks again.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fred.
It's an 03. I have been looking for the info, but can't find. The dealership knew all about it, and trimmed some part of the belly pan. Their internal Labor oOperation No was 13-31-01-91 & 92. Hope this helps. After they trimmed to flange, the shuddering went away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery