Question: RB4 Nav Unit in a RB1 Equipped SRT 10?

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a RB4 Factory Nav/CD/Radio Head Unit will plug-and-play in a SRT 10 that currently has a RB1 6-disc CD/Radio in it now? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember if you attempt this upgrade, is that you will also need the antenna for the satelite radio. On a roadster, the antenna is on the inside of the trunk lid.

OP
OP

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not worried about the Antenna location, I can do that on the underside of the Dash. What I'm trying to determine is, if the Wiring is compatible for this swap without cutting anything. Anyone?

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes it was plug and play with my 2003. I did take the unit out because the nav sucked and the reception was horrible for some reason. I checked all connections but would not get good reception, so maybe something was wrong with the unit because i did buy it used. I returned the unit and put my RB1 back in and have not touched it since. So to answer your question Yes it will work

EZ 2B Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was factory installed and I have never had a problem with reception. There are of course better NAV units on the market but having it integrated with the sound system of the Viper is what I find very useful. Good luck!

OP
OP

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Guys. I just wanted to be sure it was a plug-and-play before I took the old RB1 out. The RB1 is in fact a 6-disc unit and I'll miss that capability. I'm aware the RB4 with Nav only has single-disc capability.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Guys. I just wanted to be sure it was a plug-and-play before I took the old RB1 out. The RB1 is in fact a 6-disc unit and I'll miss that capability. I'm aware the RB4 with Nav only has single-disc capability.

I put the RB1 nav unit in both my '06 coupe and my srt10 ram. Not only do you lose the 6 disk capacity of the RBq?, but if you're using the nav, you must have the dvd inserted so you better be prepared to listen to the radio or buy the xm or ipod interface because you won't be listening to music cd's if you are navigating ... not that that is a bad thing

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some confusing and contradictory info on the RB1 in this thread. The RB1 NAV radio is a single disc unit with the capability of connecting to an outboard 6-disc player.
The original equipment Viper radio for Gen III is an RBK and is the 6-disc/No-Nav unit we've all come to know and uh, tolerate.

OP
OP

1buddyc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonoman, you are correct. I know that when using the RB1 Nav Unit feature, you cant play a Music CD at the same time cause the slot is taken up with the Nav Map CD. I also know you can add a 6-disc CD unit to the RB1 Nav, but dont want to add any extra equipment. All I really wanted to know was, if anyone is certain that a RB4 Nav Unit will use the exact wiring plug-in from my RB1 6-Disc (non Nav) head unit in the car now. I dont want to cut any wires. The reason I'm considering the RB4 Nav unit is so I can play a Music CD at the same time the Navigation feature is on.
It is my understanding that the RB4 Nav unit stores the info from the Map CD in memory, so you take the Map CD out. Then you can play a Music Cd at the same time the Nav unit is working.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sonoman, you are correct. I know that when using the RB1 Nav Unit feature, you cant play a Music CD at the same time cause the slot is taken up with the Nav Map CD. I also know you can add a 6-disc CD unit to the RB1 Nav, but dont want to add any extra equipment. All I really wanted to know was, if anyone is certain that a RB4 Nav Unit will use the exact wiring plug-in from my RB1 6-Disc (non Nav) head unit in the car now. I dont want to cut any wires. The reason I'm considering the RB4 Nav unit is so I can play a Music CD at the same time the Navigation feature is on.
It is my understanding that the RB4 Nav unit stores the info from the Map CD in memory, so you take the Map CD out. Then you can play a Music Cd at the same time the Nav unit is working.

Might check out this thread on the Dodge forum. Looks like the nav function in the RB4 is pretty basic: <Quote> "If you can swing the extra $100-$200 you will much happier with an RB1 versus the RB4. The RB1 shows the actual map where the RB4 only shows the turn by turn arrow. The only upside that the RB4 has over the RB1 is that you can remove the disc when using the nav and replace with a music CD."
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram/88376-rb4-navigation-radio.html

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the RB1 and RB4 are single-disc head units.
RB1 uses a single DVD nav disc.
RB4 uses a pair of CD-ROM nav discs (East and West).
Both can control the Mopar 6-disc changer.
Both work with the factory-installed or dealer-installed UConnect bluetooth units.
Both work with the Mopar iPod kit, EXCEPT IN THE VIPER.

Swapping is plug and play save for the nav antenna. There are different jacks for the respective units.
Antennas can be mounted on top of the head unit.
Most aftermarket ones have a magnetic base. Sticks right on top of the unit.

The RB1 has the nice map and color screen, but if you want to navigate, you must leave the nav DVD in the unit.
The RB4 is really basic (text only directions), but has the ability to save a route so you can use the single disc player.

RB1 is made by Alpine.
RB4 is made by Harmon-Kardon.
Neither company supports either head unit in any way.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kevan thanks for the correction and sorry OP for my original post. I always thought that my stock non nav 6-disk was a rb1 and the nav single disk was the rb4. So now i know

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6 disc radio and a Garmin plug in, stores nicely in the console and quickly mounts on the dash, best of both worlds after owning all the lousy RB's. Although I love this solution.

IMG_42991.JPG

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee- that's pretty much what I did:

You must be registered for see images

I kept the stock stereo (which makes a nice clock...heh heh), and added a Garmin 3790.
The Garmin is hard-wired, but can quickly be disconnected and stashed in the glove box.
I fabricated the no-drill mount bracket for the suction cup mount. The suction cup mount didn't like the summer heat, and I would sometimes find the Garmin dangling from it's power cord. :)
So the cup part was removed and the basic mount screwed to the mount bracket.
Works like a champ, but the Bluetooth is kinda wimpy (not loud enough for the Viper...:D).

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make a carbon fiber ( or black) bezel that is pre-cut for the taller, narrower double-DIN units (as shown in Lee's green installation above)? I know I've seen one on this forum but it might be a custom job...

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both work with the Mopar iPod kit, EXCEPT IN THE VIPER.

Not true. I have the Mopar iPod kit installed, it works with the RB1. IMO this is the nicest OEM solution. You can leave the Nav disk in the unit while playing songs from your iPod.

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make a carbon fiber ( or black) bezel that is pre-cut for the taller, narrower double-DIN units (as shown in Lee's green installation above)? I know I've seen one on this forum but it might be a custom job...

I just had a Double DIN unit installed. They had to both fill and cut the dash bezel, then paint it to match. They also had to cut some metal inside the dash to make room. I had them reinforce the area that they cut.

I had them install a JVC NT3HDT navigation unit. I also had them install a better amp and system processor under the seats, as well as replace the speakers with some nice JL components and a JL sub.

I am thrilled with how it sounds and functions. The system looks stock except for the JVC logo. The iPod cable is in the center console.

When I looked into the OEM unit, the price seemed high for what you get. For a short time I used a Garmin Nuvi on the wind shield, but that's not legal here. If it were I might not have felt so compelled to install a double DIN unit. But now that I have it, I think it was money well spent!

~Jay

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true. I have the Mopar iPod kit installed, it works with the RB1. IMO this is the nicest OEM solution. You can leave the Nav disk in the unit while playing songs from your iPod.
Some Vipers have reported electronic issues when using the Mopar iPod kit, namely problems with the speedometer and other gauges not functioning correctly.
If yours is working, awesome. You're one of the really rare ones.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Vipers have reported electronic issues when using the Mopar iPod kit, namely problems with the speedometer and other gauges not functioning correctly.
If yours is working, awesome. You're one of the really rare ones.

Good to know. There are different generations of the RB1 unit. Don't remember exactly which one I bought, but I was told to avoid the first few generations when I was looking to buy.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a Double DIN unit installed. They had to both fill and cut the dash bezel, then paint it to match. They also had to cut some metal inside the dash to make room. I had them reinforce the area that they cut.

I had them install a JVC NT3HDT navigation unit. I also had them install a better amp and system processor under the seats, as well as replace the speakers with some nice JL components and a JL sub.

I am thrilled with how it sounds and functions. The system looks stock except for the JVC logo. The iPod cable is in the center console.

When I looked into the OEM unit, the price seemed high for what you get. For a short time I used a Garmin Nuvi on the wind shield, but that's not legal here. If it were I might not have felt so compelled to install a double DIN unit. But now that I have it, I think it was money well spent!

~Jay

There's a really slick "bean bag" mount that has a sticky rubber bottom and works like a real champ. Legal everywhere as far as I know and doesn't move, not in the Viper, not in the SRT10 RAM, not in the Challenger SRT8 .. Tried all of them.

However, the big benefit to the RB1 in the Viper is that it's tied into the audio system, it mutes the radio and talks quite loudly so it can be heard easily. It's navigation routing isn't too bad [ nothing beats Garmin -- which an RB1 isn't ] and you can even get update DVD's on ebay fairly cheap if you keep an eye out for them.

--FQB

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang