Questions about lowering a Gen I

melialayton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright guys... I'm new to this board, but I'm going to have to ask for some advice from some of you who have installed Eibach Springs

I have a 93 RT/10 and I just purchased the Eibach Pro Kit (springs only) - My question is how hard is it to remove the shock/spring assembly? How long does it take for complete installation from start to finish? I have put lift kits on full size trucks and lowered a few dakotas but I've never even looked closely at the suspension of the Viper and I don't want to mess anything up...

Just to introduce myself: I will turn 23 next month, and yes I am a FEMALE viper owner... other toys - 2004 Honda CBR 600RR and I just started my own business (venom Racing) selling pocketbikes.

So far I've got:
TNT Headers, TNT Exhaust, TNT 68mm throttle bodies, Smooth Tubes/K&N's, VEC 1, Stewart Warner Pro Shift Light, Short Shifter, Chrome Emblems, Painted Hood Pad, Painted Red Dash w/ Carbon Fiber Trim, 5" LCD TV, Playstation 2, Custom Enclosure w/ 8" Kicker Comp VR, Xtant Amplifiers, Sony Xplod 6.5, JL Audio Tweeters, Panasonic CD, Diamondplate Floor Mats, Racing Harness Belts w/ Pads, Billet Antenna, Chrome AC Knobs, Chrome Dipstick, Chrome Oil Cap, Xenon Headlight Bulbs, Hard Top w/ Scoop, Double Platform Wing

I'm currently in the process of installing the Eibach Springs and I have a set of 19" CCW 505A's on order (hopefully they will be here by mid August)

My personal website is: www.geocities.com/dodgemotorsports40

OP
OP
M

melialayton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard it's just taking 2 bolts out to remove everything and then it would just be taking the factory spring off and compressing the new spring on...

What time frame would you say (I have access to a Dodge shop and PLENTY of tools included a spring compressor)

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I hope you get your car lowered, but in the meantime post pictures of yourself. We don't get many women on the board.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fronts can be a pain to remove due to the sway bar, but in general, the first time out will take you an hour or so to remove all 4. Depends on what tools you got, if you got help, etc.

OP
OP
M

melialayton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I have the tools, the lift, etc... and a couple of guys who are "mechanically knowledgable" it should not be that difficult right?

I will make sure to get an alignment, but just out of curiousity... how bad does it throw the alignment off?

OP
OP
M

melialayton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay guys... thanks - I appreciate the help

I'll post pictures when I get the car ready

thanks again

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes the rotational preload of the rubber bushings keeps pressure on the bolts holding the shock in the upper or lower brackets. I used to beat, twist, and argue with the bolts to get them out. Then I found a 4 foot bar, stuck it in the lower a-arm, sat on it, and the bolt was loose enough to push it out with a finger. Oh well.

Cheap owners (and I remain nameless) only re-adjust the toe-in (I believe it'll go to toe-out.) The increased camber front and rear when lowering can be a good thing to keep as long as you aren't doing 100% highway driving.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a -93 also with Eibach springs. I can e-mail you pictures of before and after if you want.

It was not hard at all. Front ones were more pain to remove, took maybe 1,5 hours and rear were out in no time.

I chose to take the shocks to a shop, they removed the springs and istalled Eibach springs. Back the same day, I paid 60 bucks, I know some here have got the same service for 35-40 bucks.
After that it is a simple bolt on.

How bad they can be off alignment? I wasted my perfectly good front tires in less than 500 miles. The inside of tires was chewed up. I ended up buying all 4.

Do the alignment, it was 355 bucks and well worth it. 1,5 years later (8000miles) the tires are OK.

You must have a red -93? (Since I have the 6,5 Explods too and mine is red.....)

Lauri

3snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HI my brother son is tire changer on th 29 car. nice to meet you. pls tell me more about the scoup on top . is that on with the tape .? were did you get it . thanks steve

OP
OP
M

melialayton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3snakes

I bought the car used about 2 years ago and it was included with the sale - I believe it come from Autoform

The scoop is molded into the top (I'll try and take a few close up pictures for you when I get a chance)

I get a lot this all of the: "but it's not functional", "what's the point of the scoop, etc.."

Personally I just like the way it looks and I love the hard top over the soft top (would never change back)

I believe this one cost somewhere between $2200 - $2500 from what the previous seller stated

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see another female Viper owner/driver! When the lowering is complete post before and after pics!

551untitled-med.JPG

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivory,

Wisconsin, what a beautiful state. Spent some time at the Dells, Fondulac, Appleton, Neenah, Oshkosh and Door County. Had a great time!

Cheers

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivory : You seriously live in Madison? My best friend goes to I think it's called " whitewater " or something along those lines. He lives no more then 30 minutes from you...small world...lol maybe when I come up and visit we can both cruise our Vipers.....oops. Did I let that out?

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivory : You seriously live in Madison? My best friend goes to I think it's called " whitewater " or something along those lines. He lives no more then 30 minutes from you...small world...lol maybe when I come up and visit we can both cruise our Vipers.....oops. Did I let that out?
You have a Viper now FranciscoR?

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol...finally " getting " one. I am still somewhat debating the ship vs. drive home issue. The shipping is about $500 more expensive unless I find a reltively cheap means of shipping.

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol...finally " getting " one. I am still somewhat debating the ship vs. drive home issue. The shipping is about $500 more expensive unless I find a reltively cheap means of shipping.

You're gonna spend over $500 to ship a 1/24th scale Viper?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine