Questions about the One Lap of America Vipers

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither Viper is basically stock as a few people on this board have stated... Here are a few things that might help with your questions...

There is a message posted by Spencer on One Lap of America bulletin board thanking Dodge PVO. Spencer teamed with Brian for the previous two One Lap's.

Quotes from Car & Driver web site article...
"Adee, meanwhile, is campaigning the same 600-hp 1996 Dodge Viper GTS coupe that carried him to overall honors in 1998. "

"...Smith driving a 2001 Dodge Viper ACR coupe strongly rumored to have a tuned version of the '03 Viper's new 500-horsepower V10 engine..."

I'm not sure about the 2003 motor... The motor in the winning Viper did not have the single throttle body intake that has been shown in the magazines for the 2003. It had the old style twin throttle body setup with the individual runners. Visually it looks like the old motor but you never know...

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Myrick,

I don't know the situation this year, but last year I spoke DIRECTLY to Brian Smith (Winners last year as well), and he stated the engine was stock. Period. He said all they did was play with the shock settings and tire pressures. As far as Ron Adee, I am unaware of his car this year or last year.

Also, if you look at the 1/4 mile event at IRP raceway, here are the times of these two Vipers THIS YEAR:

Viper ACR 0:11.833 Brian Smith, David Zelkowski
Viper 0:12.096 Ron Adee, Patrick Adee

Hardly highly modified Viper 1/4 mile times.

IMHO, even if it is true that these cars were substantially modified this year, it doesn't take anything away from the victory. Most all the top dogs in this event have many tweaks/mods to there cars. That is what amazed me in 2001 - watching these guys dominate with a stock ACR. The Viper is truly an amazing track car, for a production automobile.

Later

OP
OP
J

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a good idea to make assumptions based on 1/4 mile times. For example - look further down the One Lap results and you will see two Z06 Corvettes. One ran 12.9 and the other 14.1. Not only are these two times significantly different, neither are representative of what a stock Z06 can do. At least one of those two Z06's had some level of modification. The red one had a different air box that claims some ridiculous improvement over stock. Now if you were looking at 1/4 mile MPH, that's different.

I don't know about you, but I have seen several (and read about many more) stock Vipers that ran in the 11's stock, but I couldn't get mine there even after 40 more rear wheel horsepower. Mine runs decent MPH but I can't launch it good enough to get it to ET like it should.

If you know any of the Viper guys from One Lap give them a call and ask them about the cars. I have talked to both and that's where I got my information and that's why I posted. I do not know if any of the information was told to me in confidence therefore I have not repeated it here.

A stock Viper is a very formidable competitor capable of winning One Lap. However, this year there were not any stock Vipers in the field.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vaguely remember C&D about 2 years ago say that a stock Viper won all out in 2000??....Im looking for the mag now.....One of the past 3 years a stock Viper won...Not sure which one however...

Well I went to the OneLap site and found this page...I was right....The Viper that won in 2000 was a stock Viper with ACR suspension upgrades..." it stood out from all the 600hp+ cars" according to C&D.....Here is the link....Look at the bottom 2 paragraphs on the page, then click the 3rd page and read the first paragraph....If you didnt know by now, stock Vipers are AMAZING
biggrin.gif

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/previews/2000/August/200008_previ ew_miche.xml?&page=2

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did some of the work on the One Lap Viper. The only mods were:
- 1999 stock camshaft
- 2-inch intake valves
- ported heads
- headers
- Corsa exhaust system, no catalysts
- GTSR rocker arms
- special engine calibration

That's it. The engine made 612hp.