Questions on new air filter setup

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I will be upgrading my intake setup something soon and I'm toying with the idea of using two intake tubes with a slight bend in them with cone type K&N filters. As opposed to smooth tubes and the stock airbox. Are there any advantages to this setup? I would think it would be slightly better since you're nothing using an airbox.. it's just straight thru. Would I just get two K&N filters with the right size to clamp right on the intake tube? I'm assuming any K&N filter from a higher output engine will work ok. (ie, no filters meant for small 4 cylinders) I'm talking about a setup similiar to this

You must be registered for see images

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Traditonally the issue with the open element filter style is the hot turbulent radiator exit air your car will enhale. The box, though more restrictive, makes up for the shorcoming in flow by getting cooler air in a more laminar flow pattern into the filters.

Not sure if it makes a performance difference you will notice or not, I've never personally tried it. I did try it on my Cobra, which had a mass air meter as well as the Air Temp Sensor. The car ran noticeably rougher and generally worse, so I switched back to the shielded filter and all was well. The Viper doesn't have a mass air meter to get tricked, so it may not make a big difference, but directionally, it's the wrong way to go on a stock or near stock motor.

It would have been a cost savings for Dodge to do that from the factory, but they didn't. Must have been a good reason.

My $.02

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">The general consensus is, do it for looks (assuming that you consider it "good looking") not performance.

Hot intake air is the enemy of horsepower. </FONT f>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is a great photo of a **** looking, Viper-custom,
"HOT AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM" Sure to be a big hit at the car-show or cruise-in nearest you.

Wanna buy a Turbo-encapsulator? {just teasing...that was a VOI-gag film from Team Viper)

Dodge spent million$ in wind-tunnel and other tests of the NACA duct airbox........

I have seen ONE worthwhile droop-snoot cone system: It had a polished metal shield below the cones, to shield them from SUCKING hot air from below.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive got an idea, how about rerouting the AC ducting right into the intake, and then running the AC full blast!
smile.gif

- eddie -

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have run a/c lines around/through Intercoolers and intakes to cool air charge temps. We developed a couple prototypes for the asthetically challenged Mangusta, and the Supercharged Mustang Cobra R. Not sure they will make production, as the cost to do so is prohibitive on a production vehicle, but the performance improvement was significant - on the Supercharged, Intercooled motor.

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the warm air intake from the cones hurt the engine in any way or just potentially rob horsepower?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Andy R,

The warm / hot air could make a engine that is near the detonation point detonate. Beyond that, it's just horsepower.</FONT f>

OP
OP
U

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hot air is also alot less dense, therefore reducing compression and power output.. Thanks for the opinions everyone.. I think I'll probably go with Roe's setup with smooth tubes.. but I'm still thinking.. Thanks

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the K&N kit on order that was pictured above. I am paying $525 with freight. Anyone else buy this? How much are people paying and notice any differance?

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
USAF BAD ASP,

The stock airbox, even with smooth tubes, gets quite a bit of air from under the hood, because the NACA duct's size and placement just can't handle 8 liters (even at speed). Even the air that does come through the NACA duct gets heated as it passes through the box (the box isn't insulated and its sitting in the engine compartment).

Apex Motorsports once did a test of the various intake systems and found relatively small differences (+/- 1-2% versus stock) on their rear wheels dyno. That's indistinguishable from zero in real world driving.

So, don't worry about the hot air issue. Go with whichever system you like and have fun.

SNKBYT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The K@N box works well to sheild some hot air from the motor. However, the hard plastic s- shaped tubes are a little restrictive. The k@n box works great with BTR's inlet pipes. You do have to modify the box and rubber doughnuts to fit, or you could make your own pipes/hoses to the k@n box. Tim

AndyR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's K&N's picture of their intake kit for the Viper:

You must be registered for see images

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ron’s got it summed up pretty well. Intake heat is not desirable.

I have seen several racers with the open cones but they have put in a shield that isolates the cones from the engine heat. Not very pretty but it's a matter of function.

As for the NACA duct, if you have a ‘95 that is not even an issue.

Also, Dave Adkins wrote up a physics approach article that dismissed the ram air effectiveness of that duct on a Viper at high speeds. I hope millions were not spent on the airflow of that duct and then eliminate it on the GTS/R Race Vipers when it was found to not be a benefit at high speeds.

The duct looks cool on the car and how much are you really driving over 120 mph sustained?

Tom W. has already put this together and sells a nice looking cone setup if that is the look you want.
http://www.btrviper.com/intake.html

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AndyR, Got it from Jermay ( From: Jeremy helms [mailto:[email protected]] He has more in stock if anyone is interested, good guy!! refunded my $ while K&N was on back order, rather than just tie my $ up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery