Race Deck Garage Floors - Anyone have one?

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This looks pretty cool. My garage looks like crap and I want to turn my motorport into one of those lean, mean showcar type garages like in the pictures on the Race Deck site. Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm not too keen on doing anything home improvement wise unless it increases the value. My GF thinks I'm nuts to spend $1500 doing this. I told her it would help sell the house. She said "no way - just paint the floor". But that doesn't look as cool.

Anyway, check it out:

http://www.racedeck.com/shop.htm

REMIX

RaceDeck

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ReMix:
If you decide to go with RaceDeck,
Make sure you mention that your a VCA member to get you % discount......

OP
OP
R

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My garage is 21' x 23' & my calculations put it somewhere near $1500 - $1600. I have a 2-1/2 car garage & this ISN'T taking into account the 1/2 car space. I need something in the order of 380 tiles to do what I want to do ( best price I found was $3.45 a tile at the ZR-1 Net Store http://www.zr1.net/ZR1store/index.html?target=dept_15.html&lang=en-us ).

Flooring ($3.45 x 380 = $1,311)
+ the edge pieces (73 x 1.50 = 109.50)
+ the corner pieces (5 * 1.00 = $5.00)
Total w/o shipping = $1,425.50

I put in about 1500 sq ft of Pergo flooring last year and that was a [******]! I can't imagine this being any better on the knees. :)

What kinda discounts do the VCA members get?

Does anyone know if this stuff helps the value of a house?

Cool that the Race Deck peeps are here. :)

REMIX

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drop the [email protected] link an email. Tell them how much you need. I'll bet they give you a lower price than the one you've found. Their quote for 576 sq ft for my garage was considerably better than anyone else's.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also looking at installing Racedeck flooring.
Better than raising the value of your house, you can take it with you to your next house, If you spend 3-4 days cleaning, etching, primering & painting the floor you can not take it with you.

My .02
Andy

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The price you are quoting is very high. I did 600 sq ft for less than that including shipping. Shipping is very high for this I think mine was over $250. As far as resell, the good thing about the floor is if you move you can take it with you, it goes down and comes back up very fast.

Brad

OP
OP
R

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm going to drop them an email right now.

Great freakin' list here.

REMIX

Leonard Knight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished my garage and it is about 40x40. I covered the whole floor in racedeck and I love it and so does everyone else. I have to 4 post lifts with cars on them and no marks on the floor. I have used my floor jack as well and no problems. Very very nice floor.

Only thing I might do different is to get the smooth tiles instead of the diamond plate pattern as they are harder to clean. I am still looking for the best method as mops leave dirty water behind the raised portions.

All in all the best way to go.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do these coverings do in a 'working' garage? I wonder if dragging jacks around on the floor and using jack stands to support vehicles will dent or damage the tiles.

I occasionally spill stuff - like brake fluid and oil. Do the floor coverings stain? I assume that the plastic coverings are impervious to hot tires, although I've seen even heavy duty garage floor paints 'lift' from hot tires.

I'm guessing I'd want some kind of smooth tile as I can't image rolling around on my back on top of the 'patterened' surfaces.

I love the looks, but don't need any added maintenance issues on what I think of as a work surface.

Jim

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working shop? I think Vipermed has that covered!! Vipermed, did you go with Diamond or smooth tiles...

I am about to do this in my measley one car 14x22 garage, and would like to know about spilling liquids (including beer)..

Does the liquid get under the tiles, requiring removal of the tiles to clean up? I always have a bag of kitty litter in
the garage to throw onto oil spills...Wondering how that works on the racedeck product.

Tomer

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the diamond plate which seems to incresae durability,It does get kind of loud with the floor jacks and is **** on the knees,the only thing that i have found that seems to effect the tiles is if you spill gas and it sits overnight it will stain the tile.Oil is a very easy cleanup,i dont know that i would use kitty litter on it as that would be more of a cleanup challenge.It is also pretty durable to jack stands ect.I have found no need to remove any tiles for cleanup underneath.Also you will love the feel of it compared to the hard concrete

OP
OP
R

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of Tampa are you in? I'm in Sarasota & I may make a trip up there one of these days to check out that flooring of yours.

REMIX

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too am considering this floor in my 30 x 44 garage. I received a sample tile and have two questions.

1. How tight are the joints once installed? Any problem with dirt and grit building up in the joints?

2. How quiet is the floor when walked upon? It would seem to produce a "hollow" sound or "clomping" sound so to speak. The tile has a slight "cup" to it which would further contribute to the noise. The sales rep suggested pre-installing 1/8" of foam sheeting as you would under a laminated floor in a house application. Has anyone done this?

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering their SMOOTH tile. Has anyone here installed it and how has it held up after use. I am not crazy about the diamond pattern. I will need to install this in about a month so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The other source mentioned above offers 24" x 24" tiles but not in white. Bummer!
Bob K

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let her know that before she can make the transition from GF to wife...she has to understand the importance of doing everything she can to make you happy. This would be a good starting point! :cool:

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks good and is durable but its lousy with regard to slipperiness. i cant even place my ramps or even a wood block down as itll just slide across the floor, so as for safety, racedeck leaves something to be desired. it does claen very easily too.

2002graphiteviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had racedeck for quite a while... Love it...

The posts above were good... It is a pain to clean - but that is what a compressor is for! Simply open the doors and put the high powered gun to it...

I have left some serious dents in mine from the jacks...

I would recommend finding a distributor by you - we have several here in Mpls - get a deal on each plate...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang