racing rules

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A question to those who have raced an RT/10 in Viper Days or NARRA. Do Gen I-II's have to run w/ their top off? Do they have to run w/ a back window?
Does anyone have a link to the specific section of the rules on this topic?
Thanks

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck amigo. Maybe you get lucky but "no roll bar, no run" is what I got when I tried to run my '94 or '95 at the closest road course....

Sounds like a good reason to open it up on a good 'Mexican' road!!!!

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i have run my 94 rt/10 at the track in Edmonton.Hard top was on and all windows had to be on but besides that everything was good to go.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know i have run my 94 rt/10 at the track in Edmonton.Hard top was on and all windows had to be on but besides that everything was good to go.

Strange, the windows would be more of a liability than an asset. Everytime I have attended a track event, the windows were required to be rolled down. Why would they want windows that are not permanenty attached to the car on the car during the event?

Last edited:

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At VIR in Virginia all of the RT/10's except 1 had their hard tops on. There was an emerald green one that had no top and no back window in the driving school with us.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange, the windows would be more of a liability than an asset. Everytime I have attended a track event the window were required to rolled down. Why would they want windows that are not permanenty attached to the car on the car during the event?

I wondered the same thing and it was very very hot out that day so waiting in the line to get to the line i had to drive with the door open.lol

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I attended Viper days a few years ago, the rt10's had to have roll bars installed to run. But Viper Days people had roll bars with them an installed them for the owners. I don't know if they still do this or not.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot depends on what run group you are in also. I just checked in on Viper Days in Pocono and they said that my 3 piece hard top is good so long as I am not running super mod or higher run group

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of groups will require supplemental arm restraints in open-top cars so your hands don't get cut off if the car goes upside down. Most groups REQUIRE windows to be rolled down. I think Viper Days highly encourages hard tops and roll bars on Gen1&2 RT/10s, but does not require them. When the SRT convertibles hit the series, Skip and Autoform provided several sets of bolt-in roll hoops for competitors who did not own one. To my knowledge, this has never been done for RTs because there are no mounting holes available.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Their website states you must have a rollbar or hardtop by the 3rd event.

In the past most RT-10s ran with the factory hardtop or an Autoform hardtop.

Good luck!

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It used to be a RT/10 had to have a factory hard top or a autoform hard top to run. Unless it had a roll bar. The three piece top were not allowed to run unless they had a roll bar as well. The Srt's needed a rollbar or a autoform hard top. Autoform did not supply the roll hoops that were used they were something I had made locally. But all things have since changed so who knows. The driver needs to do what is safe and smart. After all its your life that is on the line if something happens.

vipertech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks Tom ,the rules have changed a little though. First the emerald green viper at VIR has a full roll cage,harnesses,and arm restraints. OK to run with no top.The ruling on tops for NARRA is as follows.First on rt/10 and srt/10 you can only run street tires so the highest group you can run in is modified unless you have all the saftey equipment( rollbar,hardtop,ect). 03 to presant srt/10 you have three events to get rollbar or hard top. rt/10 can run with hardtop and no windows and will allow three piece hard top for first event.hope that answers most of the questions on hard tops.Thank You Scott Sorrentino,NARRA Technical Manager

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks Tom ,the rules have changed a little though. First the emerald green viper at VIR has a full roll cage,harnesses,and arm restraints. OK to run with no top.The ruling on tops for NARRA is as follows.First on rt/10 and srt/10 you can only run street tires so the highest group you can run in is modified unless you have all the saftey equipment( rollbar,hardtop,ect). 03 to presant srt/10 you have three events to get rollbar or hard top. rt/10 can run with hardtop and no windows and will allow three piece hard top for first event.hope that answers most of the questions on hard tops.Thank You Scott Sorrentino,NARRA Technical Manager

Scott,
My car has a hard top but the point of contention was I have no back window. On Saturday the SCCA requested I take off the top and use arm restraints. I used arm restraints but resisted taking the top off (feels safer to me w/ it on.) They gave me a one race waiver to get the rules in writing, specifically if the rear window needs to be in place in a car w/ a full cage and a hardtop. In my regional class (ITE)I must conform to the rules of the series for which the car was originally prepared. I may switch to SPO or STO next year, but I suspect I'll still be challenged about the window if I don't have the rules in writing.
Seems strange to get a visit from tech after my 7th race this year, in the 3rd region of the year.

Thanks to everyone for their insight.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think we all assumed you were wanting to run the Challenge Series and now seeing that you are running SCCA in ITE, I would suggest printing off the supplements from the Viper Racing League.

I do know that many of the guys, years ago , that ran the RT10s , did take out the window, and it makes sense since it is removable like the side windows.

I would suggest you request Scott to send you a note on Viper Days Racing League Letterhead simply stating that a revision is being made to the Viper Days rules to make the rear window removable, since it is not a fixed unit, just like the side windows and could be a safety hazard. I would imagine this issue was overlooked as there are few RT10s running in the Viper Racing League anymore.

Good luck, but likely not much of an issue, and you should be fine with the roof on according to the VRL rules. I can't say I ever remember seeing an RT10 race without a roof.

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bill & Scott---
excellent help. I'll email Scott.
The rules I downloaded from the NARRA site for GT-1 cars of my era aren't specific on the issue. It mentions replacing the back window w/ lexan that can be vented, but I think that rule is intended for the GTS models.
I bet something on the NARRA letterhead would suffice.
Thanks for your help in keeping the old snakes on track.
DR

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i ran my RT/10 years ago in SCCA & Viper Racing League, the rear window was removed.

OP
OP
V

vpr4track

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Frank,
Did you use a hard top at the time? How about arm restraints?

I think the tech inspector was a guest from out of region, so controversy ensued.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i raced my RT i installed an Automform Hardtop. I have used Arm Restraints but i feel uncomfortable using them. If you have a Roll Cage installed in your car & your head with helmet does not extend above the cage then you will be ok with arm restraints.