Racing Seats

Yellow Vegas Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a good seat set-up for my 2001 GTS. I want to get racing seats that I can swap in and out with my stock seats until I add a cage, and then I will leave the race seats in all the time. I would like to have the race seats on an adjustable track just like the stock seats. Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get bolt in tracks for race seats.

I am considering the Sparco seats, but am open to suggestions from others with experience with different seats.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been planning to track my car at some point. Anyway, in regards to race seats, my favorite are actually the seats in the Ferrari Challenge Stradale and ENZO. I believe they are made by Sparco and extremely expensive to order. They aren't listed in the sparco catalogs and I figure you need to order through Ferrari at a huge mark-up.

I recently found a thread showing these seats in an EVO that are supposedly to go on sale in 2004. They are quite expensive, should be about $2K a piece.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget about what you like from an appearence point of view.
Locate are retailer of racing seats and spend an afternonn sitting in seats.

You will eliminate most of the choices in just a few minutes - too wide - too narrow - wrong color - won't fit in the Viper etc etc

ALSO - AND THIS IS VERY KEY - The Viper cockpit is rather narrow - I just went down to the garge and measured my Momo seat - it is 21 3/8" across the "wings" - that is the widest part of the seat - it comes within 3/4" of the door,So a seat 22" wide at the wings will only just clear the door.
When you get down to a couple of seats that met your fit, looks and overall width criteria you are ready to choose a seat.
You are looking for a snug fit - if you can stay in the seat for about 45 minutes and don't develop numb spots - this is probably thew right seat.

I followed this advise from Ted May to the letter
I purchased a Momo - Model - nascar/vir
Until I trailered my car to the track I drove it 4.5 hours to the track, ran two days at said track and drove it home making a single stop for gas each way. Now this seat is the most comfortable seat.

Here is the kicker - I herniated a disc - the only place I could get comfortable enough to sleep was in that seat - true story.

Hope this helps

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got 15" Kirkey Road Race seats - aluminum with pretty thin padding. They do come close to the doors, but fit. Since they fit me so well, nothing goes numb, I even drove the 9 hours to Detroit from NY for the PVO-VCA AX event. Since there's no "thickness" to the aluminum shell, you can use the OEM seat tracks and still have lowered the seat. Since the bottom of the seat is flat, it will require a little fabrication.

schorvitz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am running Sparco Pro 2000's also. I really like them. I had to take a hand saw and cut part of the outside "ears" off to get the doors to close :)

My seats are fiberglass with leather covers. The sliders are made by Sparco. I also have custom mounts bolted to the rollers so the seats mount with the stock nuts and bolts.

You must be registered for see images

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
I sat in a Kirkey aluminum road race this weekend (in a spec miata) and did like the fit...I didnt know they fit in our cars. If you dont mind, whats your height/weight? Wanted to know what size seat to inquire about..15 16 or 17" for me. 6'2, 225-230 lbs.

You got pics of your seats??? Would love to see. I really want to get one. Or a Sparco EVO2.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BugEater, I'm 5'11" and 175lbs. The measurement of 15" is how wide your hips are, measured as if you stood between two waist-high walls. Here are the dimensions

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/roadrawing2.jpg

As the hips get wider, so does the rest of the seat. If you want, after you find your seat size, I'll measure some more and see if 16" or 17" seats would also fit. You'll have to fabricate some brackets; the bottoms are flat, and the right side of the seat edge will hit a rail along the transmission tunnel. Luckily, there was a race shop near here with a display model that let me trial fit it in the car.

I've uploaded five pictures in the Member's Gallery. Search them using keyword "Kirkey." Sorry, it's a rainy night here so they aren't that great. If there's something else you want a picture of or want to know - email me at [email protected]

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tom. I will check em out. I think the guys seat I sat in was a 17" and it fit pretty darn good. What would you measure to see if a 17 would theoretically fit? Just add 2" to the seat's wing clearance?

Thanks again!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, Theoretically, yes they will fit, but... My seat is already resting the bottom forward right edge (under your right thigh) against a rail that is at the bottom (in the passenger compartment) of the transmission tunnel. And then the left shoulder ear is about an inch from the door. To put a 17" seat in the car, the bottom right edge cannot move closer to the transmission, but the left shoulder ear can be moved into the car, all of which means I think the seat would end up being rotated counterclockwise viewed from the top. It might just line up with the pedals fine (I have my seat pointing straight ahead and my legs are angled over; in this situation the seat and your body might be at an angle to the car's direction and only your head would be lined up.) Sorry, I think you have a must-try-first before purchase.

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$499...what do you guys think of this? Actually looks like a CF/Kevlar blend. Might be a tad uncomfortable w/o padding. Wonder if it fits the viper....

You must be registered for see images

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used my Sparco Pro 2000 and loved it! Fit in the car well and I would take it out when I was not at the track. Its for sale! It even has the slide track with, I think 4 or 5 positions. Its in the Classifieds, in great condition. $550 OBO

speedpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the Kirkey in my Vette and it is an excellent seat and comfortable. You just place take two cement blocks tight to your hips when sitting then measure. I have a Sparco Evo2 forsale never used 450 shipped Navy Blue. The kirkey is harder to get in and out of but my car is a 99% track car. The Kirkey has an easily removable padded cover which is replaceable for 160.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang