Raising rear view mirror

Viperarri

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to raise the rearview mirror, I am finding since I installed the radar detector, my vision, especially when turning is somewhat restricted.
Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loosen the screw on the base and lift the mirror assembly off the metal plate. All that's left is the plate stuck on the glass. I was ignorant and used a razor blade to get it off. The OEM attachment is a thin, flexible layer that the razor can actually cut off. Then I cleaned it and used mirror glue to reposition it.

On another post, someone mentioned you can go to a glass shop and their industrial strenght hair dryer on the outside will soften this sticky pad and then reuse it.

In either case, when you have the mirror detached, consider moving it about 6" to the right so that you look out the back over the passenger left shoulder.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gently push the mirror up so that you can get to the mounting point at the windshield, loosten the attaching set screw, lift the mirror off the mounting block, and put it in the glove box. I have had mine off for qite a while. You can see behind you with the side view mirrors well enough. I am quite used to it, My bike has side view only, (where would you put a center rear view on a bike) and many of the trucks I have driven have no rear view mirror. It really is not a big deal not having it, and the forward visibility is much much better.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mirror blocks a lot of valuable windshield viewing. Installing the mirror on the dash would have been safer but there is probably some stupid government regulation against it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the mirror and install a rear view camera. Feed the input of the camera into a DVD player in your dash.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
.... there is probably some stupid government regulation against it.

BINGO !! The acronym is HIP or some such... Head Impact Points. Lots of regs on what and where your body can strike something inside the cabin.....