Ram SRT10 will remain undisputed KING of trucks

OP
OP
S

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that, here it is

Ford has pulled the plug on the next-generation F-150 Lightning SVT pickup truck, instead putting all SVT's eggs into one basket: The SVT Cobra Mustang, due for 2006.

"It's a business decision," said Alan Hall, SVT spokesman. Ford said the next Lightning has been "postponed," and not killed, but it will be 2008 or later if it is revived. SVT has gone from three vehicles in 2004 -- the Lightning, the Cobra Mustang and the SVT Focus -- to none in 2005.

Ford had already shown a concept version of the next-generation Lightning in 2003. The concept had a supercharged V-8 engine with more than 500 horsepower, in answer to the Dodge Ram SRT-10, which eclipsed the Lightning as the world's fastest production pickup in a test last winter. Ford was eager to regain the crown, but has decided to deed the performance pickup-truck market over to Dodge and its 500-horse SRT-10, and to a lesser extent, Chevrolet, though the heavy all-wheel-drive Silverado SS is not in the same category.

The Lightning debuted in 1993, with a 240-horsepower version of Ford's 5.8-liter V-8. It was only a mild success, and was dropped in 1995. The F-150's redesign led to a new Lightning for 1999, featuring a 360-horsepower supercharged 5.4-liter V-8. A handful of 2004 Lightnings, not much changed from that 1999 model except for a horsepower bump to 380, remain on dealer lots. Base price: $33,560.

Apparently, cost played a major role in the decision, as the expense involved in developing and certifying a proper V8, and massaging the new-for-2004 F-150's chassis, was deemed prohibitive. Also, the next-generation Lightning's fuel mileage would likely continue to detract from Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy totals: The current Lightning is rated at 12 mpg city, 16 mpg highway.

Won't access, might want to copy and paste.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
glad i got my year 2001 ford lightning. as far as trucks go they are kinda rare. mine was 1 of like 8,000 lightnings built that year. i believe only something like a total of 40,000 year 1999-2004 lightnings were built. it is by far the trickest truck i have ever owned. it has the coolest engine i have ever had the pleasure of owning. supercharged ohc stroker (4.15 inch stroke = major torque) engine with a total displacement of 331 cubic inches. i have doubled the boost output (16 psi now) from my blower and am now making 430 rwhp and 500 rwtq with the stock long block. here is a pic of me doing a burnout in my truck at my local dragstrip. i hit 90 mph in 3rd gear while doin this 10 second burnout. i have driven this truck to a top speed of 145 mph. i will never sell it. i will just give it to my kid when he graduates high skool. :usa:

P.S. SUPRA - i will be at the truck-n-nationals this weekend at firebird drag racing my truck against all comers. i got 2nd place in 2001, 1st place in 2002 and was eliminated in the 1st round last year. i have trailered alot of blown and nitrous injected dakotas with my bolt. i hope to get to race a viper powered SRT-10 truck this weekend.

2776BURNOUT-med.jpg

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
to each his own but for me a truck is a vehicle designed for towing or moving heavy stuff,so "king of truck" should be based on towing or payload rating,not 0-60 or 1/4 mile where the vehicle weight is such an important part that a bunch a cheaper priced vehicles (cars) will easily beat both a stock Lightning or Dodge.

It's like trying to built a street car that you can race or a race car that you can drive on the street, the end result being a vehicle that is not very good at doing either one.

Luc
00GTS