Ran into a 06 Z06 today

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was at the gas station today and an older guy pulls up in a new 06 Z06. I live in St. Augustine, FL and this was the first one I have seen in the flesh. There aren’t many cars like this around here and only 1 other gen 3 viper that I know of in this area.

I go inside to get a drink and see the guy in there looking for a newspaper and ask him how he likes his vette. Dialogue goes like this

He- I love it.
Me- Nice I have a 05 viper with a 150 nitrous shot.
He- laughs a little to himself and tells me that I am going to need it.
Me- As the car sits now w/o spray it puts down 480rwhp and 530 rwtq
He– Just looks at me
Me- Have you raced many vipers ?
He- yes and beat them all kind of laughing to himself.

At that point the cashier gives me my change and I turn around and walk out. My question is do these guys seriously think their precious Z06 is that superior ? I am by no means pushy I honestly was hoping the guy was cool because I wanted to check the car out. He was such a [******] about it I was stunned walked outside got into the SRT8 Jeep I bought 4 days ago and went on my way.

God knows I am not going to sit here and stereotype that whole group by one experience with one guy so that leads me to come out here and ask you guys. I dyno tune and build custom calibrations for all Ford/L/M vehicles and grew up racing 700+rwhp mustangs. I also had a 04 Z06 and loved it. That is until a year after I bought it I drove the viper that I have today. That day single handedly changed my life and I will always own a viper.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to understand that most vette guys have a chip on their shoulder due to years of being underclassman to vipers..It obviously affected not only his brain but social skills as well...

Adam

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was out driving around today in my Viper, as it is a beautiful 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Saw a Ferrari 550 Barchetta, Porsche Carrera GT, and a Ferrari 355 convertible, along with numerous vettes, all with attitudes that would not look my way, even though I was going to give them a thumbs up. :rolleyes:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously I wasn't there but if the conversation went as you said then I'd say you were the one being a ******.

Think about it, after you asked him how he liked his Vett, you responded to his "I love it" comment with "I have nitrous." You might as well said, "Oh yeah, well I have nitrous! How would you like them apples?"

Like I said, I wasn't there but what Viper owner hasn't been in the exact same situation where they were asked how much they like their Viper and then have to sit through somebody telling them about fast their Mustang, Camaro, Vette, etc. is?

Then again, he maybe he was a real ******
:D

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well obviously the tone of the conversation can't be construed thru text I was just pointing out what I drive not trying to ram that down his throat. I wanted to see the car myself but walked after his retort.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe saying I have 150 shot of nos was a little over board. You should keep that a secret. lol ;) :2tu:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< Obviously I wasn't there but if the conversation went as you said then I'd say you were the one being a ******.

Think about it, after you asked him how he liked his Vett, you responded to his "I love it" comment with "I have nitrous." You might as well said, "Oh yeah, well I have nitrous! How would you like them apples?" >>

sorry, but i have to agree with chuck too. as soon as you said "Nice I have a 05 viper with a 150 nitrous shot.", you immediately put him on the defensive and kept him there the entire time until you walked away IMO.

"...not trying to ram that down his throat."

it is unfortunate, but i think thats the way it came out.

sorry, but you asked for our opinions.

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize stating facts instantly put someone else on the defensive. If the opposite were true and someone said that to me I wouldn't become defensive at all it would pique my interest and I would ask them about their combination.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torrie what part of St. Augustine are you in? My grandparents live there and I will be coming down to Florida in August.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out with my car all day, gorgeous day in TO, and I passed a few chevy dealerships on my tour.

I can;t believe the amount of Vettes parked on the lot of these dealerships. Enough to make me chuckle as I drove by them. Well..........enough said!

Patrick

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is stock vs stock superior due to advanced design and LIGHT weight which promotes better handling,acceleration and braking.It is what a Viper used to be.King of the hill. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understood I do have respect for it and would love to run one off the spray. My car has 3 mods to it so that would be fun to see the outcome. In all honesty I just wanted to look under the hood and inside of it. It was the first one that I have seen around here. Hell I am more then happy to share my car when people ask about it. Thats half the fun of owning it.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is stock vs stock superior due to advanced design and LIGHT weight which promotes better handling,acceleration and braking.

The real world tests are starting to come in and so far it hasn't been the blowout so many former Viper enthusiasts were touting.

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to run one. If this guy didn't come across as such a **** I would have offered it up hell my viper was around the corner in my garage. My lowly jeep pulled off a g tech 12.95 in the 1/4 today with 2 mods at the 600 mile mark. I will have time slips to back that up this week if its at all accurate.

Reaction score
The 06 Z06 has great performance potential. So does the Viper. Now it is up to the driver to get the best performance.

That said, a good response would be to invite him to join you at a track event(Viper Days) an see if he takes the bait. Not sure of the facts but have heard rumblings about reliability issues with the Z06. Lets see how they hold up to being driven.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to run one. If this guy didn't come across as such a **** I would have offered it up hell my viper was around the corner in my garage. My lowly jeep pulled off a g tech 12.95 in the 1/4 today with 2 mods at the 600 mile mark. I will have time slips to back that up this week if its at all accurate.

If 12.95 was the best you could do, the ZO6 would have you by over a full second. You need to get back to the track and practice the launch and powershifting techniques :2tu:

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re-read what I wrote that was in reference to my SRT8 Jeep not my viper. Track times to come on all of them since T&T just started up again at gainesville. I have been racing for years and yes I can drive the hell out of all of them.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If 12.95 was the best you could do, the ZO6 would have you by over a full second. You need to get back to the track and practice the launch and powershifting techniques :2tu:
I think he was refering to his SRT8 jeep pulling 12.95 but I could be wrong

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what are your mods??? on the jeep.
also what was the 0-60 time on the g-tech run??? could you duplicate C/D's 4.5 second time?????????
-moldy

Reaction score
The SRT8 Jeep is one fast ride. Drove on at the SRT driving program. It is the second fastest product Dodge makes. SRT10 Viper is the fastest. Would expect the SRT10 RAM to be third. In the hands of a very good (Sr. Skip Barber instructor) the Jeep SRT8 will smoke a Viper SRT or Z06 Vette driven my 98% of us on a road course. At Sears Point I was in a SRT8 Jeep following a new Viper SRT and the Jeep was hanging a lot closer to the Viper than I expected.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GAFB!

SMOKE an SRT-10 Viper? What are U smoking?

Jeep = 420hp 4800 lbs
Viper = 510hp 3400 lbs

Even with equal hp, the jeep is so much heavier. No contest even with a professional in the jeep. Gimme a Friggin Break. Maybe my GRANDMA in the Viper (she's 96).

Kudos to the Jeep for being a bad ass sport ute and a great bargain compared to the other quick ones, but I'd never say a Cayenne Turbo S (510hp) can keep up with a Viper on a road course, much less the Jeep. The WEIGHT alone would reduce the tires to nothing in a couple laps.

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
holy s**T dude!
4.4 20 times in a row!!!!
So C/D wasn't bullsh*ting on how fast this thing is. I'll have to test one of these bad boys out now!!! thanks for the info!
-Moldy

Forged Horsemen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Adam 96 and the underclassmen status the Vette guys have had to deal with all these years from the Vipers.I like the new ZO6 is a very bad ass car. Just transported two of them last week. The SRT 10 still makes a little more HP. The few ticks slower in the 1320 is due to gearing and alittle extra weight for the Viper. So the common denominator here is just a gear change and a consistant driver away. Don't even need NOS. Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte