random tech exhaust

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've finally come around to installing my full exhaust on my 2001 GTS and have two questions.

I bought the belengars, random tech high flow cats and random tech exhaust. My first question for those that bought the random tech exhaust and high flow cats is, did the muffler section of the exhaust butt up against the random tech cat (along the side sill area of course) without having to cut anything? It looks to me as though I might have to cut some lenght off of the cat.

My second qestion is, which is the inlet and wich is the outlet for these mufflers? Peeking inside the thing, it does look like it would make a differance in which way you hook them for best flow/sound. They are not marked with flow arrows so I don't know.

I am almost finished with this instal, so please chime in as I would like to fire this thing up and enjoy it.

Thanks in advance.

MacManInfi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should work o.k. if you don't have to use the adaptors. I installed the random tech exhaust, but couldn't afford headers yet. So mine came with two adaptors that go from the 2.5" exhaust pipe up to the 3" to mate up with the random tech exhaust. The adaptors took up space so I did have to trim off about 3 inches.

But my understanding was that if you installed headers at the same time, it should all bolt right up.

-Chris

OP
OP
B

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should work o.k. if you don't have to use the adaptors. I installed the random tech exhaust, but couldn't afford headers yet. So mine came with two adaptors that go from the 2.5" exhaust pipe up to the 3" to mate up with the random tech exhaust. The adaptors took up space so I did have to trim off about 3 inches.

But my understanding was that if you installed headers at the same time, it should all bolt right up.

-Chris

Chris thanks for responding. IS there a diffrance in the direction you hooked the mufflers for flow? Did you notice by any chance?

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've finally come around to installing my full exhaust on my 2001 GTS and have two questions.

I bought the belengars, random tech high flow cats and random tech exhaust. My first question for those that bought the random tech exhaust and high flow cats is, did the muffler section of the exhaust butt up against the random tech cat (along the side sill area of course) without having to cut anything? It looks to me as though I might have to cut some lenght off of the cat.

My second qestion is, which is the inlet and wich is the outlet for these mufflers? Peeking inside the thing, it does look like it would make a differance in which way you hook them for best flow/sound. They are not marked with flow arrows so I don't know.

I am almost finished with this instal, so please chime in as I would like to fire this thing up and enjoy it.

Thanks in advance.

Answer to 1st. Yes, pretty much. If you haven't noticed(joking) the Randomtech muffler is a pretty long muffler. The Randomtech cat is a little long (universal fit) so you'll probably have to cut that down as it will butt up to the muffler. This leads to your other question. It doesn't matter what direction on the muffler. No they do not have a directional arrow nor do the directions say. I put mine in with the flow going against the serated/louvered bumps. It's a loud enough system the way it is. You'll like it nonetheless. The only other advice I would give is make sure you get everything aligned up properly. That muffler should not rest on the bottom rail nor should it touch anything at the top. I'll just say it's a tight fit putting the side sill back on. I hope that helps. I live in Indy-southside and I have the Ramdontech exhaust system so if you need a hand or advice just call me.

OP
OP
B

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just called Random Tech themselves and apparantly I am not the first person to call with the same quesiton as to the direction of flow for the mufflers.

He says it does not matter but agrees that the sound might change depending on how you install. He says they should have been labeled though. He says to install with the cups/louvers facing towards the inlet.

Still curious on the final concensus on wether to cut or not to cut the cats.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Answer to 1st. Yes, pretty much. If you haven't noticed(joking) the Randomtech muffler is a pretty long muffler. The Randomtech cat is a little long (universal fit) so you'll probably have to cut that down as it will butt up to the muffler. This leads to your other question. It doesn't matter what direction on the muffler. No they do not have a directional arrow nor do the directions say. I put mine in with the flow going against the serated/louvered bumps. It's a loud enough system the way it is. You'll like it nonetheless. The only other advice I would give is make sure you get everything aligned up properly. That muffler should not rest on the bottom rail nor should it touch anything at the top. I'll just say it's a tight fit putting the side sill back on. I hope that helps. I live in Indy-southside and I have the Ramdontech exhaust system so if you need a hand or advice just call me.

Thanks so much for this reply it helps tremondously.

What brand headers do you have?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, it's no secret that louvered muffler core(s) are not the way to go performance-wise, and can drop flow through a muffler by 50% or more.

One batch of CFM test results from a website included (evidently) results when comparing two brands of glasspack mufflers. One with a perforated core (holes), and one with a louvered core. Same inlet and outlet diameters-just the difference in the cores:

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack w/Tips- No Louvers.........274 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack w/Tips -Louvered ...........133 CFM :eek:

Not a performance enhancement is it? Turning the lower CFM muffler around with the louver openings not facing the exhaust stream only increased flow to 141cfm. Either way you're toast.

There's plenty of info on the web against using louvered muffler cores in performance vehicles.

Vipers without sidepipes have enough of a challenge, having exhaust system bends totaling at least 360 degrees per side (starting at the front of the sidesills) before the exhaust finds its' way out the end of the system at the back of the car. Using a restrictive muffler in a 3" system would pretty much kill the gain from going to 3" wouldn't it?

- Experts estimate that optimized exhaust system flow can have as much as 5x the influence on cylinder filling than the piston's downward stroke does. So it's worth it to pay attention to what plumbing you're hooking up on the exhaust side.

Cheers

OP
OP
B

BoeingMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, it's no secret that louvered muffler core(s) are not the way to go performance-wise, and can drop flow through a muffler by 50% or more.

One batch of CFM test results from a website included (evidently) results when comparing two brands of glasspack mufflers. One with a perforated core (holes), and one with a louvered core. Same inlet and outlet diameters-just the difference in the cores:

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack w/Tips- No Louvers.........274 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack w/Tips -Louvered ...........133 CFM :eek:

Not a performance enhancement is it? Turning the lower CFM muffler around with the louver openings not facing the exhaust stream only increased flow to 141cfm. Either way you're toast.

There's plenty of info on the web against using louvered muffler cores in performance vehicles.

Vipers without sidepipes have enough of a challenge, having exhaust system bends totaling at least 360 degrees per side (starting at the front of the sidesills) before the exhaust finds its' way out the end of the system at the back of the car. Using a restrictive muffler in a 3" system would pretty much kill the gain from going to 3" wouldn't it?

- Experts estimate that optimized exhaust system flow can have as much as 5x the influence on cylinder filling than the piston's downward stroke does. So it's worth it to pay attention to what plumbing you're hooking up on the exhaust side.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. I am not a huge muffler tech however if done right a straight thhrough lovered muffler is able to minimize loss in airflow. I'm giving these a try and will dyno my set up in about a month or so and see what happens.