Rattle Caused by Dry Upper Ball Joint

tennis tom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I mentioned it in passing in a couple of recent poats but not specificly so, I feel it's worth a heads-up here. At 1,500 miles on my 2008 Viper vert, I heard a rattle from the rear. I had a local dealer check it out at it's first oil change and mentioned the rattle. They couldn't find it. I took it to my old time mechanic in SF's tenderloin and we drove around for quite a while and had it up and down his lift about 6 or 8 times, inspecting and tightening everything. I left it with him overnight feeling confident that given enough time he would figure it out. Sure enough he called me the next morning and said the uppper ball joints were dry. He lubed them with a special tool required to reach it and--RATTLE GONE.

I don't know a ball joint from a tennis ball. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Could the factory have failed to lube it?
Can they dry out sitting in a dealer's show room? Anyone else have this experience?

If you're experiencing a hard to diagnose rattle from your (Viper's) rear maybe try lubing it's upper ball joints.

Cheers,

tt

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A ball joint is the swivel connection between the suspension arm and the upright (that the brake calipers and wheel attaches to). They are essentially lube-for-life and can last the lifetime of the car or until the rubber dust boot fails and allows grease to run out or water and road dirt to enter.

I think it has to be under-lubed from day 1, grease does not run nor should the rubber boot let grease run out anyway. The other surprise for me is that the new grease can act as such a cushion that it eliminates a rattle - a rattle means there is a big gap and I'd predict the noise comes back.

Reaction score
The factory does not fill the joints they come from the suppliers ready to go. It is possible this was over looked or under greased but rare. If you are going to track the car I would suggest having it changed out but if it is street driven only it should be fine. Even if the noise comes back there is a record of the problem and you will be taken care of.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What kind of "special tool" did he need? I found the front ones top and bottom no problem. On the back, the one behind the brake rotor is a bit hard to find but I didn't need any special tool. I found each one that's shown in the service manual. Hope there aren't any "secret" ones.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of "special tool" did he need? I found the front ones top and bottom no problem. On the back, the one behind the brake rotor is a bit hard to find but I didn't need any special tool. I found each one that's shown in the service manual. Hope there aren't any "secret" ones.

Viper is a hi-tech sports car! You can't just use your ordinary grease gun on it. C'mon man.

:lmao: