Rattle in back of car fixed. Shock bolts!!!

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's probably been posted, but if any of you Gen 3 owners (mine is an 03) are experiencing a rattle when driving over sharp bumps in the road, it may just be your rear shock bolts. 3 days ago I pulled the OEM ones which are tapered for crying out loud...and allow a tremendous amount of play that creates the rattle. I replaced them with 6" x 9/16" bolts. The fit if PERFECT on my 03, and now the car feels more solid than it did probably when it was new.

Also had it on the dyno. 440hp/490 ft pounds of torque. Only mod is Magnaflow mufflers and CATs removed.

Anyway, if you have not changed out your crappy tapered OEM shock bolts (top and bottom) and have a rattle....do it. It fixed my rattle problem.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a rattle like that, but good to know for the future. Thanks for sharing info.

dester243

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a steering wheel shimmy hitting small bumps in the corners with my 03. Looked and both front shocks are leaking. Ack!

My last 03 the rear shock was leaking. Definantly made the car handle funny.

OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, after a week of driving with the new bolts...I have to say the rattle is much less noticeable...but it is still there. I think it may be my lower shock bushings. The rubber is cracked. Anyone change them to help fix the damn rattle that seems to be coming from the passenger rear? Driving me freakin nuts!!!! Don't know what to try next!

OP
OP
K

Kirkinsb

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This weekend I searched every possible cause for a rear-end rattle behind the passenger seat. I made a long list from all the posts and systematically checked each one off as I made sure the rattle was not coming from that.

Where I believe most of the rattle came from is a bolt on each side of the car right inside where the rubber dust cover is over each rear shock. (you have to remove the two plastic inner fenders to get a good view of it) When you remove the dust cover there is a 10mm bolt that was very loose inside that dust cover on both sides of the car. I could see where the plastic had been rattling and was actually worn away by rubbing the metal frame. You have to reach inside the hole with the wrench and tight them down. I got about 5-10 quarter turns before they got tight. Then I put a nut on the bottom so it would not rattle loose again.

I also happened to find a thick 2" round washer just laying loose underneath the carpet just behind the passenger head rest. Not sure what ASS left that there. I used a rubber mallet to bang on things and that damn washer was making a lot of noise just laying there free.

So, now my 03 Vert sounds much more solid. No rattles like before. I used to almost want to get out and freakin scream because that rattle was ******* me off that much! I am all better now! haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang