Reading the dipstick?

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I am a mechanical dummy. But do you just read the dipstick just on the side with the marks? I check the oil level the same way each time (usually cold in the AM--at least I get a consistent reading ). If I read the side with the marks, I get a reading. If I turn the dipstick over to the other side, the level is different (usually lower). I have done a search and no luck. Please help a mechanically challenged guy. I guess because of the curves and length of the dipstick this could happen, but it is driving me nuts. I have never noticed this on other cars. :confused:
Thanks

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air pockets in the tube, oil is always being slung up it there,

Take the stick out in the eve, check it in the morn. Lay the stick where you can't forget you have it out. That should eliminate the air pocket.

Many cars are like this. Your oil may be getting a little on the thick side, as most oil will after some miles.

Are you on level ground?

skip

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I know what you mean, and I've had the same problem on some other cars. It's oil trapped on the fat side of the stick. I ran into this on a car the other day, and after wiping the stick and rechecking several times, I got a good reading.

Read the side with the marks, I'd think.

If your a tad off don't worry about it, better to be a pint low than a pint over. Huge oil reserve in this car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Funny that you mention this, as we had a heck-of-a-time trying to get a good reading on a 2004 SRT-10 the other day. Owner was getting an oil light during Club autocross (small, low speed track...NO long, sweeping curves).
One side of the stick read at least an inch different than other side...and, we never really got a symmetrical reading.
Since the low side was LOW, we added a quart, and driver reported no more oil light.

I should add that this is a modified motor...from H in texas.

elanderholm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue. The stick is totally covered up until a point and then it it's like half covered up to above the max fill line. How am i supposed to read this thing? I wiped it and redid it like 10 times....same result. It makes it almost impossible for me to read the dipstick with any confidence.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lowest point is the correct reading

What blue said! It's because the tube still has oil trapped along the sides and it is still sliding onto the dip stick everytime you put it back down in there. If it bothers you, then do what Skip said and remove it for a long enough time to let that oil drain down out of the tube.