REAL SRT information

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In an effort to supply what is lacking, I will try and post as much information as I am allowed to over the next few weeks. We will do this in instalments, so we can discuss in full detail each and every new feature.

Topic #1:
The first item we will discuss is the number one complaint I can ever remember on ALL Viper's to date, the Exhaust sounds.

If you recall, the sidepipe Viper had a very "restricted sound, that got no help by only speaking for 5 cylinders out of each side. At each and every VOI and in EVERY review of the Viper in the magazines, the one common gripe was the "UPS" inspired sound.

PVO initially thought they would change that on the SRT/10 by using the system currently in place on the Ford Lightning. The basic premise of that system (which is the only way I can comprehend it) was an adjustable (from inside the car) switch that can actually increase or decrease the level of sound. Once it was determined that this system was a little costly, with no apparent performance value, it was decided to look into alternative methods.

The method that proved most effective, and produced the best sound ever to be heard out of a "production Viper" proved to be an H-pipe system. The drawings at the SAE dinner revealed that by combining the two individual (the previous method) exhaust systems that they could produce a much deeper and meaner sounding exhaust system. To make the sound even a little more noticeable, the SRT/10 has no muffler.

For those "modified" people out there, this is not a system that will replace that loud thunderous system you are currently listening to. However, it will make you take notice that this is a very BIG and SPECIAL engine under the hood!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I heard that the exhaust pipe from the LEFT side runs to the back of the car, does a u-turn, and then exits the RIGHT side.

I would also be interested to know more detail on the car.

Steve, I look forward to your ongoing postings.. I hope you'll release the info "as it is allowed to be released" since a bunch of us are chomping at the bit here
smile.gif

OP
OP
S

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon I hope I say this right? The way they showed the pipe, it ran from the engine along the side of the car, then right behind the seat it made a 90 degree turn right to the other side of the car. The Crossover or H-pipe was right in the middle of the car (behind the seat). The easiest way to finish was to say that the exhaust pipe that leaves the engine on the left side will ultimately go to the opening on the side sill on the right, and vise versa. I hope this clarifies? If not, call me and I will explain it then you can out it in more mechanical terms.

As for "running to the rear", what was shown was between the rear axle and behind the seats. I do not know if that is defined as rear or not?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good thing about this, is that it was probably done to lengthen the tubes so that the cats/resonators/mufflers all fit on there, and to meet noise requirements.

I have heard the exhaust system on the SRT is VERY restrictive.

It will be OH SO EASY to lop off the pipes before they make that 90 degree bend and just have them exit on the same side.

Should be good for a big HP gain too! Maybe even more than we get on GTS's with cat-backs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960