Really Felt For a Guy in a silver Gen 3 Today...

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..so we're out running some errands today and the storm that's supposed to drop rain...then snow late tonight arrives early. We come out of the store and it's sleeting, with a couple inches already on the ground, coating the cars, etc. I've got the Lincoln so it's no big deal.

Anyhow, we turn onto Street Road in Bensalem and there's a silver Gen 3 at the side of the road. That stretch of the road was pretty bad with sleet, slush...you name it. I hope the guy went a bit further as we drove out of the sleet and back into rain.

Gotta give the guy credit...with the forecast we had for today, with a Nor-Easter watch...he's got bigger ones that I have.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man what was that guy thinking. We go hammered here. Last I checked we had like 10 inches out side. Hope fully he got it off the road.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grew up in Connecticut. Don't miss that cold white street lubricant at all...lol.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As retentive as I am...my Vipers don't even go out in the rain. In fact, since the 96 RT has been here...it's never had the roof or windows on.

The forecast for our area (outside NE PHilly) was for rain...snow at night...so nobody expected the weather to be that bad...that quick. MY wife was as dumbfounded as I was.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hear that Matt. Here in Chester County, I was planning on at least taking the Viper to our Saturday morning C&C, as it's only a few miles, and some rain won't hurt it. But, when I came out of the gym by 8:30, it was already sleeting, then turned to snow. (I was in the Grand Marquis). So, the Viper stayed in.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here I am just praying to see a lil' snow here this year. I don't even get mine out if its misting rain, But I could not Imagine putting my car up 3-4 months out of the year(I cant even fathom that). Its 12 months of driving here, BUT it is Louisiana! jmo

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So sad, reading these post of Viper Hibernation. The only thing good about it is, when spring finally does roll around, the 1st drive must be like having a brand new car again.

OP
OP
M

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in PA, I loose my "Viper GTS Priviledges" every year from about mid November until March. (Roadster time is even shorter.) Once the salt and cinders hit the streets...they're done. Many roads were salted on Saturday. With the brine they've been using...I don't want any cars in it.

Ratical2...there's no doubt that after a fews months without seat time...it does feel very good.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy's 300 awd Hemi C would barely move with just the first two inches down. It took is 2 1/2 hours to go 15 miles and I was cringing at just the thought of getting stuck in viper is that stuff.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in Millville, NJ at the NASA track event at NJMP with my 09 ACR on Saturday AM. The rain did not trouble me but with the forecast calling for 6 inches of snow at home in PA I hightailed it out of there at 7AM. Got home around 9 AM with rain still coming down. By 11 AM we had 2 inches of snow on the gound. Glad I left when i did or I would have been stuck somewhere in transit as the Michelin Sport Cups are not snow rated!
PAVenomRT/10

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right next door to PA here in OH... I'd say we dodged a bullet. Just cold and rainy here.
Yes Ratical2... it is like getting a new car when Spring rolls around. :)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In fact, since the 96 RT has been here...it's never had the roof or windows on.
Thats how it should be with an RT/10 IMO.:2tu:

I was in Millville, NJ at the NASA track event at NJMP with my 09 ACR on Saturday AM. The rain did not trouble me but with the forecast calling for 6 inches of snow at home in PA I hightailed it out of there at 7AM. Got home around 9 AM with rain still coming down. By 11 AM we had 2 inches of snow on the gound. Glad I left when i did or I would have been stuck somewhere in transit as the Michelin Sport Cups are not snow rated!
PAVenomRT/10

Im confused... You went to a trackday on Saturday and left to go home at 7am??? the timline isnt adding up...:dunno:

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a beautiful day in Ontario despite a heavy frost this morning. :) Took mine out for a last run.....filled it up. They are now put away until April. :(
I said I couldn't imagine 3-4 months, & you're putting them up until April. DAMN, just shoot me now! I do feel for you guys, I would HAVE to get a Bad A$$ modded 4x4. jmo

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As long as the roads are CLEAR and DRY (both conditions must apply) the Viper does venture out in the winter! Granted, I keep the speeds WAAAAAYY down on the PS2s, but sitting is not good for cars. I'm not afraid of a little residual sale, it will wash off.

Last winter, it never sat for more than 3 weeks at a time. Got her out, took a little 35-40 mile drive, and back to the garage. It's all good.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is with what they are putting on the roads now. A lot of our equipment that gets run in the northeast (daily, all winter) gets some NASTY corrosion on it. A lot of places are using magnesium chloride, which is some bad stuff for basically anything it gets on. It's much cheaper than salt and can be put down well in advance of snow or ice as long as it doesn't rain, and it will still work though.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is with what they are putting on the roads now. A lot of our equipment that gets run in the northeast (daily, all winter) gets some NASTY corrosion on it. A lot of places are using magnesium chloride, which is some bad stuff for basically anything it gets on. It's much cheaper than salt and can be put down well in advance of snow or ice as long as it doesn't rain, and it will still work though.

The automatic car washes up here are heated and closed on both ends. After exiting we have to pull off to the side and wipe dry the door gaskets. If you don't do that the next time you try to open that door the seals will split. Of course the Viper tires won't fit in the channels and no righteous Viper owner would enter an automatic car wash.

It was an interesting observation to me, coming from two decades in Texas.

PAvenomRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom,
Yes, arrived Friday night for Saturday morning event. Before heading to the track at 7AM on Saturday I checked the weather to see when the storm would arrive. When I saw 6 inches predicted for Eastern PA by afternoon, I left as i was not about to drive in the snow with Viper.
PAVenomRT/10

jjp11

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put my Viper in hibernation this past Sunday... To me, it's just not worth the risk driving on cold roads with cold tires. Better to have something to look forward to all winter rather than having to deal with all the stress that comes with an accident.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96