Rear brake caliper piston tool

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to change my rear brake pads (rears are stock) tomorrow afternoon, but I see this big boldface warning in the service manual that refers to a special (undoubtedly expensive) piston compression tool. The warning states if you don't use this tool "the brake caliper will be destroyed".

Is this true?

Did everybody out there doing their own brakes buy this tool?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a pair of needle nose pliers, and put some electrical tape on the ends...turn the piston clockwise while pushing in...You'll be fine, just be careful not to slip and scar the piston...It's really no biggie, just easier with the "tool"...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald is correct. Except some piston are more difficult than others. I bought the tool. I think it was about $15. Call Tator.

viper_man40

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just did my brakes yesterday, needle nose pliers worked great. If you are not comfortable with this You can try a parts store that sells a square 4 sided brake tool with different sizes that should work also.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4 sided tools don't work. The holes don't line up. Cars with low mileage turn easier than old cars.

HINT: If you turn the piston and it does not retract fully, the trick is to get in the car and apply brake pressure. You will push the piston out and then you can turn it all the way back in.

Jerry Dobson

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Be careful with the needle nose pliers...harder to seat piston on 01 and 02 cars with them...tear the dust boot as the pliers slip, and the small investment in the proper tool
begins to appeal...but a little late at that point.

Reaction score
I made my own. On the right is "the tool", and on the left is what is left of a 10mm socket. I used the home-made tool when I did nime and it worked great. I only did this because I was bored, and had to send the tool back to its owner:

tool1.jpg

tool2.jpg

tool3.jpg

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to the dealership for a bunch of stuff this afternoon, I'll order the tool. I just assumed it would be one of those Toyota-style $2200 wrenches or something like that.

Chuck, I could have sworn I didn't see you use this tool at Sebring. My brother agrees... but maybe we were just awestruck by the presence of A Man With Two Vipers.

Reaction score
Vipermad,

Got any 10mm socket turned rear caliper tools available for sale?

Ah Jeff.....you know I would just make one and send it to you! :) It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so no "outside" chores will get done. I'll break out the Dremel and work some maginc. Drop me an e-mail with your address.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
too kind. I went ahead and bought a socket so maybe I can send it to you for a 'core' for bugeater or make one based on your design and ... pay it forward!

Thanks! You have mail.

OP
OP
M

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, you have to order the tool from a third-party company, not DC:

SPX Miller Special Tools
800-801-5420

Part #8807 - retractor, rear caliper piston

$51.31 + tax + shipping

A bit more than I expected, the price list I have shows $27.00, but they raised their prices in January.

Tom Glenn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have two new tools from GreatBrakes they sent me to sell at the track. I can sell them to you for $34.50 ea. Please let me know if you are interested.
Thx,
Tom Glenn