Rear brake piston retraction tool

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about a pair of needle nose pliers? :crazy: Come back up to Alabama and I'll give you a block of instruction on how to properly use them :D :D

GTSJERRY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tool in the picture is for screw in type caliper pistons. Usually if the piston has a groove cut straight through it to provide a place for that tool to turn it in. If there is no groove in the piston they should squeaze in with a pair of large channel locks with slight pressure.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point of my post. I HAVE USED NEEDLENOSE AND ALSO HAVE THE DODGE TOOL. My point is MY PISTONS ARE A REAL B*TCH TO RETRACT and I am busting knuckles and having a coronary every time I replace my rear pads. I want something more automatic than kneedlenose or the Dodge tool.

IS THERE A BETTER TOOL TO USE THAN KNEEDLENOSE PLIERS OR THE DODGE TOOL??? I ALREADY USE KNEEDLENOSE PLIERS AND THE DODGE TOOL AND I WANT SOMETHING EASIER AND FASTER.

YES, I AM SHOUTING. I HATE CHANGING REAR PADS AND INSANITY RUNS IN MY FAMILY.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Schley Tools, thats the ticket!
Part# 86100A

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Chuck...I was helping a friend last year after a track session with a 98...and I couldn't budge the right piston while using "Dodge" spanner tool...I probably "weenied out" since it was HIS car. When he applied a little more muscle (GUTS), he turned it in further. Have you rebuilt/serviced rear calipers lately?...just curious.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guts? I'm boring a hole in my belly turning that sonbitch in. I haven't serviced them. They've always been a pain, both Vipers, even when I only had 30K on them. I'm thinking of getting a 1/2 drill and sticking the tool in the chuck (no discusting comments please).

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a tool from Jon B at PartsRack. Don't know if its the same ad the Dodge too but it looks simular to tool you posted. Cost $9.00 and works great.

Bill

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Easy Chuck - those "Garage Queen" guys don't drive their Vipers hard enough to wear out the break pads.

Best tool to assist in any Viper repair comes in a 12 ounce can and is best served icy cold!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point of my post. I HAVE USED NEEDLENOSE AND ALSO HAVE THE DODGE TOOL. My point is MY PISTONS ARE A REAL B*TCH TO RETRACT and I am busting knuckles and having a coronary every time I replace my rear pads. I want something more automatic than kneedlenose or the Dodge tool.

IS THERE A BETTER TOOL TO USE THAN KNEEDLENOSE PLIERS OR THE DODGE TOOL??? I ALREADY USE KNEEDLENOSE PLIERS AND THE DODGE TOOL AND I WANT SOMETHING EASIER AND FASTER.

Gee Chuck, only trying to help here. Those hurricanes are really getting on your nerves, huh? I think Ivan will miss Tampa. My prediction as of 9/10/04 is New Orleans as Cat 3/4.

P.S. Have you tried needle-nose pliers? LOL

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gee Chuck, only trying to help here. Those hurricanes are really getting on your nerves, huh? I think Ivan will miss Tampa. My prediction as of 9/10/04 is New Orleans as Cat 3/4.

Hey AviP I sure hope your prediction is wrong...we don't need any Ivan's here in the Bayou's :(
Hey Chuck glad to see you made it back home OK from the Shreveport. I had to to bleed a little fluid off my rear to turn the piston in. After it started to turn it went easy from there.

OP
OP
C

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nerves? Nerves? Me? No problems. I just want to retract this ******* piston without taking all afternoon to do it. And the next person that mentions needlenose pliers best not open their mail for a while.

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear brake pistons are hard as hell to turn back in too. The brake tool in your link is the one that will keep pressure on the piston while turning it back in. I have two sets of those, Snap-On and OTC, and neither of them had the right attachment for the Viper rear brakes. I had to make my own attachment out of an old socket, two screws, and some welding. $54 is a good price for that set... I paid 4x as much from Snap On. Just hope it comes with the right attachment....

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, unclip the parking brake cable before trying to screw in the piston. The self-adjusting mechanism may have enough pressure on it that the threaded rod you are trying to screw the piston in on is "binding." You don't have to unbolt the parking brake cable arm; just rotate the arm by hand and use a pair of... um ... needlenose pliers to unhook it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960