Rear brakes binding when car going backwards?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has started making an intermittent "binding" noise when I am going backwards (either in reverse gear or if I push in the clutch on a hill and let the car roll back). The noise only happens when I put medium or heavy pressure on the brakes to slow the car. Definitely coming from rear and sounds like its coming more from the LH side. I pulled both wheels off and the caliper bolts were tight. Nothing else was visually loose, but I didn't have any other wrenches to be sure. Rear pads were replaced with Brakeman 3 pads a few weeks ago. Rotors were not turned or replaced. Rotors were turned before I bought the car, so at least 40k ago. A couple people seemed to think I have a warped rotor. Anyone else run into this problem? Was it a rotor issue?

Not sure if the following is a coincidence or not, but I drove around the block riding the brakes to make them hot and then tried backing up several times, but never made the noise. If I leave and actually drive somewhere for at least 15 mins, its way more likely to make the noise.

TIA!

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what makes red slow permenant braking.... I not helping am i Chad?????????????

Warped disc sory sorry rota.....

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warped rotor? What would cause that on a Viper? Hearing about all of the people who track the car with stock brakes and many other types, I have only heard about cracked rotors.

Stoptech has a good write up about the myth of warped rotors that I've read previously: StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

They contend that warped rotors are extremely rare, and that it is usually variation in friction due to transferred brake pad material. In Chad's case, it sounds like the old pad material wasn't removed when the new pads were put on; perhaps that is the cause. Some kind of compatibility issue when the brakes are not warm.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parking brake?

Don't think so. Twice I've jacked up the rearend and both wheels spin freely, (forward and backwards). I put the parking brake up and couldn't turn them at all. Took the e-brake off and again both tires spun freely. So, the parking brake doesn't seem to be stuck or working improperly.

Thats what makes red slow permenant braking.... I not helping am i Chad?????????????

Warped disc sory sorry rota.....

You just gave me an idea. Since I just dumped $1700 in the tranny after it lost reverse, I am only going to go places that require forward only driving. I am then gonna buy one of those "lose race" yellow Vipers for any reverse driving I need to do. Since they are so much slower than their red counterparts, going in reverse should be their strong suit :D

Didn't we just fix those? Oh, and don't balme me, I was only the cheap help................ :D :D

What is the world coming to when you can't find reliable help who agree to work for free alcohol? :rolaugh:

I will add that when we replaced the pads a few weeks ago that we did sand the rotors pretty good to prep for the new pads...not sure if this matters for my prob now though

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your caliper is bolted on tight! I had a bolt come out of the front caliper and it worked fine going forward, but was binding up in reverse!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Stoptech article is good; all of the technical articles are helpful. I encourage everyone to visit and browse.

That said, if the rotors were 1) turned and 2) have 40K miles since then, did you measure the rotor thickness? Could simply be close to the minimum and they are worn thin.

Single piston disc brakes aren't really smart enough to know if the car is going backwards or forwards (drums are because they have primary and secondary shoes, four piston calipers can be if they have larger pistons on the downstream side) so why would it behave like a warped rotor only in reverse?

I vote for a worn rotor with a substantial lip. When you back up you rock the brake pad a little one way and the fresh edge of the pad is contacting the lip on the rotor. Go forward and the pad rocks the other way which after a few weeks is probably all worn in already.

But of course I really think you need replacement calipers!

There is an industry braking test at a contract vehicle testing lab, who reported that brakes get hotter with multiple repeated applications and not dragging the brakes. I'm still not sure why that is, but they had the brake pads to prove it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your caliper is bolted on tight! I had a bolt come out of the front caliper and it worked fine going forward, but was binding up in reverse!

Checked. We actually double checked the caliper bolts when we replaced the pads and I checked them again this morning. I also grabbed the calipers and tried to move them and they wouldn't budge

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checked. We actually double checked the caliper bolts when we replaced the pads and I checked them again this morning. I also grabbed the calipers and tried to move them and they wouldn't budge

The calipers should budge. Without the wheel bolted on, the caliper should slide in and out rather easily (along with the rotor, since the wheel is off.) If it is stuck (maybe because new fat pads have been installed) that may cause problems.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along the lines of something loose, check the brake pin and anti-rattle spring. If you need replacements I have lots of good used spares. Free with caliper purchase. :D

Heck I might even have good used rotors with a caliper purchase, Chad!

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Tom said about worn rotor sounds like its prob my issue. I definitely have a lip on the rotors. Would've replaced them when we did the pads, but it was a last minute/driveway job of doing the pads on a Saturday, so no opportunity to get new rotors and I knew the old ones wouldn't be able to be turned again. Tom, PM sent

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The calipers should budge. Without the wheel bolted on, the caliper should slide in and out rather easily (along with the rotor, since the wheel is off.) If it is stuck (maybe because new fat pads have been installed) that may cause problems.

I remember the rotor moved forward and backwards a little, so maybe the caliper did as well. I do know I tried to pull on the caliper (towards the front of the car) and thats where it wouldn't budge. The pin and springs seemed fine as well

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably your pads. I only have 100 or so miles on my new ebc pads and in reverse there is a really loud noise when I brake. It definitely is not warped rotors, they weren't surface, no issues going forward. Still stops fine so I doubt it is harming anything.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it's time for new rotors and Tom's 40mm calipers......!!!

New pads grabbing the rotors?... not abnormal at low speeds... It's nice to put on refinished rotors along with new pads so they can wear-in together... I wouldn't worry unless it's more than just embarressing noise....
=J

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang