Rear calipers are ugly! What can you do?

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just put 20 inch HRE's on with the eradispeed rotors and even with the ZAF cover on calipers they look lame compared to the fronts. Is there just a rear caliper upgrade that anyone sells? I want it to look like the front. Other than buy the big brake kit for all 4 corners, what can I do? Thank you
You must be registered for see images

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remove the rear calipers. Remove rear brake hoses. Get a cork and put it in the rear metal brake line going to the back brakes. Secure cork with some duct tape - if you can find any! :rolleyes: Now you only have front brakes and 50% stopping power. At least you don't have those unsightly calipers anymore!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remove the rear calipers. Remove rear brake hoses. Get a cork and put it in the rear metal brake line going to the back brakes. Secure cork with some duct tape - if you can find any! :rolleyes: Now you only have front brakes and 50% stopping power. At least you don't have those unsightly calipers anymore!

Actually, he'd still have 88% brake, as we have a 88% front, 12% rear bias!

50/50 would be INSANE!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted mine red, but they still look like ugly, small calipers that belong on an old Dodge Monaco. Wait a minute, they did come from a Dodge Monaco didn't they. I may go the big brake route in the rears just so they don't look so wimpy. Maybe one of the Viper vendors on here can make a fake rear brake caliper out of plastic to match the fronts and we can be like the ricers out there that put fake, plastic cross-drilled rotors on their cars. I'm up for it. Already got the real Eradispeed rotors though. They look nice on your car and so do those rims. Sweeeet.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put 20 inch HRE's on with the eradispeed rotors and even with the ZAF cover on calipers they look lame compared to the fronts. Is there just a rear caliper upgrade that anyone sells? I want it to look like the front. Other than buy the big brake kit for all 4 corners, what can I do? Thank you
:cool:
Call Randy at Zero Altitude..203-469-4202..He is making me some viper logo covers to match the fronts.Should look great.

Adam :laugh:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a very poor picture of the Zero Altitude cover. Could not line up the wheel opening as the car is on the hoist for the winter.

Note that with EBC greens how UGLY the green color is. Best to paint the pad before installing. The Zero Altitude covers do clean up the calip look quite a bit. They have lettering to match the fronts.

225Brake_Cover.jpg

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4-wheel stoptechs will cure your problem

4-wheel stoptechs will cure your problem....lol

btw, how much do those zero covers run?

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 4-wheel stoptechs will cure your problem

They around $75 for the pair from Zero Altitude, a couple different versions to select from. I selected the "V-10" version. They look great and are easy to install. Only concern would be if the wheel has adhesive lead balancing weights too close to the brake caliper which may cause them to hit or rub the Zero Altitude cover after installation. Rotate wheel slowly to check before driving off.

I just recieved a full set of the EBC Green pads. I painted the outer pad surface with heatproof engine primer and then a final coat of heatproof gloss black engine paint. Tape off the pad material prior to painting with masking tape. No need to paint the inner pad since it cannot be seen. :usa:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 4-wheel stoptechs will cure your problem

I just looked at the Zero Altitude web site and could not find the caliper covers listed. I purchased them at the Las Vegas Invitational. At that time - April 24, 1999 - they were $80.43 (including tax). Quicken is a dangerous thing. Remembers everything you ever purchased.

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is what I was looking for!!!! Thank you for that. This is the link to Seans.
http://www.roeracing.com/index.html?token=672613175-1159511652-2036003379&A=30&B=Brakes

I have the zaf covers and they will not work with the new wheels and rotors(as you will see in the pic). The pad on the rear uses about half of the rotor surface compared to 90% for the front. All of this was fine with stock wheels and tires but now everything is out in the open for everyone to see... I'll go take a pic of what I'm talking about. Maybe someone could post a pic of Sean's upgrade installed? I wish I had bought the big brake kit now. Whenever I try to save money, it ends up biting me in the A$$. Thank you for the help.

OP
OP
S

SnakeAv8r

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here is a couple. It has been raining for the last week, so my car has not been out for pictures since the day I put them on. I will try for some better pics today if it stops pouring. AB Your car is the baddest viper on stock wheels I've seen. Thank you

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Robert! I like the wheels you got on yours. I am looking to get rims, but I just don't know yet. I didn't like the double lip that the HRE's had, but yours don't have them. Why is that?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Robert! I like the wheels you got on yours. I am looking to get rims, but I just don't know yet. I didn't like the double lip that the HRE's had, but yours don't have them. Why is that?

New "R" series. Out only about 2 months.

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy out of the Denver area at VOI that was selling a very cool rear brake upgrade, it was exactly the same as stock except billet aluminum and had either sneaky pete or the new fangs logo etched in them. I looked through my VOI info and could not find it. Maybe someone else on the board knows the company or how to get in touch with him. If I recall he wanted $350 for the pair. Which is kinda high, but they were awesome looking.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did a search (rear calipers) and found a thread that you could put the front calipers/rotors on the rear. Has anyone done this and how does it work? It would be a good fix to the wimpy rears that use only 2/3rds of the rotor.

:usa: