Rear differential seal leak?

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Generation 2 (2000) has a slight seal leak. It seems when I go on a long trip I see some oil
around the seal. I pulled plug on differential to see if it was low and oil came out so I know its
not leaking much. Last year it never leaked at all although I never went on any long road trips
(+200 miles). Previous year they both leaked a little. The Wizard told me this can happen when
some cars weren't used that often. I bought mine with only 3400 miles on it 3 years ago.
My question would be how much would it cost to replace the seals and who in OH could do it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHen I got my GEN II ('01 rt/10) I had to have the rear pinion seal replaced because it went bad. Not uncommon. You should have seen the fluid spray on the exhaust pipes. :omg: I actually just had my diff. drain plug become loose and I fluid seeping out through the threads.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same issue here, gear lube being thrown all over the exhaust pipes and such (stinky!). I thought it was the pinion seal, but it turned out to be not enough 'goop' on the pinion shaft splines. The seal was good, but I replaced anyway. Had the shop do it and that's what they told me. Be sure to replace your U-joint straps during this service.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same issue here, gear lube being thrown all over the exhaust pipes and such (stinky!). I thought it was the pinion seal, but it turned out to be not enough 'goop' on the pinion shaft splines. The seal was good, but I replaced anyway.

Definitely a somewhat common problem reported on the forum - leaking past the splines rather than the seal. Either way, the labor cost should be the same; but, to the OP: make sure that your mechanic knows to seal the splines in addition to replacing the seal

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...My question would be how much would it cost to replace the seals and who in OH could do it.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan Fiffick is the man in Ohio!
He builds and races comp coupe vipers. Knows them inside and out! :2tu:
Only 10 minutes from me but unfortunately over 3hrs from you.
Couple weeks ago at Mid-Ohio they completely blew apart the differential housing just 30 hrs before a race... they had to rebuild the trans, replace the diff, and fix the other drive train issues that occurred with no sleep.
You must be registered for see images attach

I took this pic as it was lying on the floor in the garage at Mid-Ohio before the race... :omg:
Qualified 1st and won on the weekend. :2tu:

If you don't find somebody closer or just want someone who knows what he is doing shoot me a pm and I'll hook you up. :D

Mike