Rear end whine in tight turns

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just started noticing this today, but it could have been there earlier. Today was the first day I've driven the car with the windows up...

When turning tight, low speed turns, like right turns on the street, I'm getting some rythmic whining from the rear end. Does not happen going straight, does happen left or right. Can't notice in higher speed turns due to road noise.

Thoughts? I'm new to Vipers, these tires are huge... do the rear ends normally make some noise when the rear tires must slip in turns?

The car is new to me, I haven't done a full flush/fill of all fluids yet. I certainly plan to get to the diff ASAP.

Thanks for any thoughts on what to look for/at.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most likely the whine is coming from your Limited Slip clutch pack in the diff. Change the fluid and don't forget the friction modifier. If the whine goes away, it was old fluid. If the whine doesn't go away, a clutch pack and diff rebuild are in you future.
The fluid has to be changed much more regularly in the viper diff because of heating issues. 15K miles between changes is a max.

OP
OP
J

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll get it changed out ASAP. Car only has 8500 miles so I'm hoping it is just old-A fluid and doesn't require a rebuild...