Rear end whine

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally had to opportunity to drive my 96 GTS that I bought in December. Had one He!! of a time :2tu: . I noticed a light roar or whine that would go away after letting off the gas, is this normal? I was wondering it the cars design didn't amplify the normal sound. Any insight would be appreciated.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some rear end whine is not uncommon. Some cars are quieter than others. Excessive whine could indicate a poorly set up rear end.

OP
OP
P

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the noise was coming from the back. As I tilted my head rearward the sound was more pronounced. As to gears? This car appears to be bone stock, heck Sunday was the first time I ever drove it beyond the neighborhood. I'm going to change all the fluids this weekend and as some suppliment to the grease and see how it sounds. Thanks for your help.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a stock 3.07 rear. You will see 1500 rpm in sixth at near 80 mph.
That is if your speedometer has the correction box.

OP
OP
P

Pat_L_96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe and Chuck, thanks, I'll look and see what I get on the spedo and tach. As to low 12's, not much longer,gonna go the nitrous route soon. Trying to feed that terrible need.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pat- My rear end was noisy (wear). So I swapped the gears out to 3:55's. No more problems. If you take the car to a Viper Tech they will know if its abnormally loud. If its wearing it will get progressively worse.

Mighty GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
MY noise seems to come from the trans. The wizard checked it out, and said it within the "norm". "RT-ED" has said he found it go away with the replacement trans fluid from
AMSOIL. I forget exactly which fluid, but you could do
a search. Mine sounded like it was coming from the rear end, but, I believe its in the trans. No big deal and nothing is wrong, more of a nuisance than anything else.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck,
I was just going by what I remember mine doing when I had the 3.07 rear.
Doing a short search, the only thing I found in print was on one of the Viper club of Ca. FAQ pages.
For a 3.07 it showed the theoretical speed at rev limit in 6th as being 302mph.
I can't remember what the rev limiter is, but if it were 6k then the 1500 rpm speed should be 75mph.
What is the rev limit set for anyway?