Rear Glass GTS Problem

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with a GTS rear glass breaking away from the lock? The glue has failed on my 2002. If so how have you gotten it fixed, replaced the glass or just taken to a glass shop and replaced the glue.

If you would e-mail me at [email protected] I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Sam

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Sam,

We've seen this several times and it should be covered under your warranty. If not, 3M produces a bonding agent that works very well.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 2002, the hydrolic/pneumatic piston that holds up the glass came off of the glass from the hatch and the dealer reglued it.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 GTS came unglued last year when I was driving it home from Bobby Archers in TX. Just bought it and drove it through the smokey mountains for the scenic route home to FL. Glass came unglue and woodhouse got me it touch with Tom Session at D&E Dodge in Wilmington NC and he fixed it under warranty. Great people.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Common really. 1997 was the worst. TSB on it then.

True Story: CART Driver Greg Moore (#99 RIP) owned a 1997 blue/white.
He drove from Vancouver BC To Portland June 1997, and the rear window came loose enroute. His pitcrew used 'helicopter tape' to surround the entire hatch glass to the car and hold the window in for his return trip.

His dad owns a Chrysler dealership, and it was replaced under warranty.... but THAT inciddent brought the problem to Dodge in a very high-profile way.

Proud souvenier: My 96 GTS is a fixture at PIR, and all the workers and security guards wave me in, regardless of event credentials. Greg got the same treatment that day, and joked that "at PIR, a Viper is its own credential".
Then I told him why! Greg gave me an 8x10 photo of him in his #99 Blu/White Indy car. He inscribed it "Jon-My Viper is Faster Than Your Viper, Greg Moore"
I worked his pit team that year, and he was as nice a 'celebrity driver' as you can meet. BC made him an honorary member of the BC VCA til his death....

OP
OP
S

SAM Team

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all you comments. The dealership Mckinney Dodge in Easley, SC which does and has done pretty much all my work on the Vipers I have had are going to get it taken car of under warranty. I know we hear a lot about dealerships that do not care and are bad, it would take hours to tell you what all they have done for me through two Vipers, Billy Page the Service Manager is the Man. I have never thought twice about leaving my Viper with them. By the way he just got a Silver Viper Truck! They are awesome at Mckinney Dodge!!!!! :cool: !