Rear hatch lock jammed.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried to to open the rear hatch and it seemed jammed. The key goes inside the lock but I can't get it to turn. Any ideas?

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've never had this happen to me but my door locks for my house stick occasionally and I just spray WD40 into it and they work again. Nothing to lose.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried pushing the hatch down and then try to turn the key at the same time? Just a thought if a latch lever is worn a bit and not releasing smoothly.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Avi,
Does the hatch open if you pull the lever on the drivers side floor? There are two cables running to the latch that actually holds the glass shut. If they're both stuck it's the latch, if the lever works, I'd say it's the actual lock cylinder that's sticking. You might try having someone hold the lever in the "up" (actuated) position while you turn the key. that should take the pressure off the cable that runs from the lock cylinder to the latch.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Avi,
Does the hatch open if you pull the lever on the drivers side floor?

He has a '97. No hatch release lever.

Ah...my bad. He's probably better off. My cable sticks on mine so if I use it, the hatch won't latch closed anymore. What a PITA.

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I took all the suggestions. I used WD40 and the spare key and pressed the hatch down while opening. After about 10 attempts that almost broke the key, the hatch opened. :D It now seems to work fine. Thanks everybody.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good news!

I'd consider a dabbing a small bit of grease (i.e. lithium) on the latch catches / loops if would help release the latches.