Rear Hatch - Not Good

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last night I had the Viper out and was going at a pretty good clip down the highway. I hit an overpass and after that was a slight dip in the road. I hit the dip going pretty fast, and when I did, the car dropped down (no big deal), but the rear hatch at the top, caught air and lifted up about an inch, bending the steel strip that is attached to the window and hinge brackets.

You must be registered for see images attach

The separation you see on the last photo happened on both sides. It looks like there is no replacing that steel strip that appears to be glued to the rear window, so it looks like I either need to figure out how to fix it, or will have to buy a new rear window :(

Has this happened to anyone? I plan to yank the window, remove the old glue, and re-glue the steel strip in hopes that will fix it. Any suggestions on glue to use? Thanks!

Jason
97 B/W GTS
91 Yel ZR-1

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now there's something you don't see everyday. IMO I don't forsee a "fix" other than tearing the entire strip off and potentially getting a replacement. I doubt it carries a separate part number but is simply a component of the complete hatch. Is taking it off and straightening it and then subsequently re-bonding back on an option...hard to tell but you have nothing to loose trying. Let us know how it goes either way.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk to Chuck he will be able to tell you if what needs to be order etc. Also a glass shop will know what type of glue etc will be needed etc

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no replacement part for just the metal strip, it is a component of the hatch. However, when I looked at it, the bend doesn't appear to be significant enough to have to completely replace, I think it is salvagable. Actually, I'll likely destroy the metal strip if I try to remove it entirely. I think with some c-clamps and/or vise grips, I should be able to pinch the steel strip back on the glass, and with good glue, it should hold... hopefully.

Who is Chuck? How do I contact him? Good idea on the glass shop too, they should know what kind of glue I should use.

Jason
97 GTS
91 ZR-1

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id call chuck tator of tator dodge 914-763-3136

but ya might wanna look into epoxy and those clamps.

Reaction score
Now there's something you don't see everyday.

Actually.....this was not uncommon on 96 and 97's (if I recall correctly). Luckily, most (like me) found the problem well below the speed limit, mine was replaced under the 3/36 in 2001 (I managed to convince them that had I actually been IN the COUNTRY I would have noticed it sooner and had it repaired under warranty).

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Johann, that is good news, because that is what I was hoping could happen. I think I'm going to take it to a glass shop next week and have that done.

SC Vipermad - Where in VA Beach are you at? I'm over in Chesapeake. I guess there are a few folks in the area with Vipers, I hope we can link up as the temperature warms up. I saw there are some car shows coming up starting in late March, early April.

Jason
Chesapeake VA
97 GTS
91 ZR-1

Reaction score
Jason,
I live over by Dam Neck, but I am without Viper right now. Rick, John and a couple others tend to visit Haygood shopping center on Sat. nights during the warmer months, and we plan to get together for some indoor karting in P-town soon. DrDJ is in Ches. I think. I still hang out with these guys....though I make more torque (still)....I am a bit slower in the CTD!! LOL!!!

Look for the Mopars on the Boardwalk show....kind of a nice day to drive onto the boardwalk at the ocean front and shoot the sh)t! I came away with a trophy the past two years......though there were always only two Vipers there!! LOL!! :)

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What happened to your Viper? Sounds to me like you need to get yourself one soon. I'm also down for some indoor karting, I live in West Chesapeake, so AIK is close by. I just got a message from DJ, he has a silver 98 right?

I plan to at least make an appearance at the boardwalk show. Until then, once I get my hatch fixed, I'll be able to drive it again. We all need to meet up for some wings and beer or something.

Jason
97 GTS