rear tires?'s

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put kumho ecsta's on the rear of my 2004 when i bought it last month. $550 each on stock wheels and i'm not happy with them.
wet traction is non existent and they drone (is that a word?) at speed on dry roads.
they were mounted and speed balanced at by the dealer.
i have kumho's on some other go fast toys and never had a problem.
what should i replace them with?
thanks
tom

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$550 ea? Dang, that seems a bit steep for Ecsta's. Anyhoo, what's on the front and how old are they? what's your driving style? Track? Hwy? Cruising? How much you want to spend?

I'll let someone else direct you to the "search" feature :lmao:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my Viper's Michelin PS2s from JonB, no issues at all and heck do they have a lot more traction than the PS1's. Make sure you don't put "run craps" back on the GenIII.

I've had great success with Kumho's on my daily drivers as well, in fact I've recommended them to my brothers and they bought and love those tires on their daily drivers, so I know how that made your choice simple. (low noise, long lasting and plenty of grip (sister-in-law drives her Grand Am GT like she's racing everywhere))

Regards,
Aaron

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i put kumho ecsta's on the rear of my 2004 when i bought it last month. $550 each on stock wheels and i'm not happy with them.

Wow!!! What made you pay $550 each for Kuhmo Ecsta's when they are sold right here on this site for $365 each and shipped for free?

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!! What made you pay $550 each for Kuhmo Ecsta's when they are sold right here on this site for $365 each and shipped for free?

no, the dealer charged me 400 each, plus 50 each road hazard, plus
80 bucks shipping (next day) plus labor and a $20 tip. $1100 total.
yeah....i know...but folks gotta make a living, right?
so, if i had another $1000 to spend, what tires are recommended?
the car will be a daily driver thru the summer.
thanks
tom

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YIKES! Not just the outrageous price, but did you mis-match with old used OE runcraps on the front? Quadruple risky, violating all FOUR rules of thumb:

Dont mis-match brands F - R .
Dont mis match runflats and Non.
Dont mis-match directional and Non.
Dont mis match symmetrical and non.

Dont blame the Kumhos......blame your tire dealer. Buy 2 fronts to match? If you need WET traction, you want PS-2. Truly Amazing in the wet.

wet traction is non existent and they drone (is that a word?) at speed on dry roads.
they were mounted and speed balanced at by the dealer.
i have kumho's on some other go fast toys and never had a problem.
what should i replace them with?
thanks
tom

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
WOW, :omg: Glad I bought my PS2's from JonB. Very happy with them. No Noise, good traction & don't look too bad either. Good Luck. :drive: Oh Yea, next day delivery too. :2tu::burnout::burnout:

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YIKES! Not just the outrageous price, but did you mis-match with old used OE runcraps on the front? Quadruple risky, violating all FOUR rules of thumb:

UH-OH.....
the the fronts are falkan FK452.
i was originally going to get falkans for the rear, but the dealer said he couldn't get 'em for a week.
so i went with the kumho's because i had good results in the past.
so, do i get 4 invos, or 4 ps-2's? wet traction is important here.
i'm doing 20 laps in a sprint car at talledega in august. they tell me, for an extra 100 bucks i can run the viper 2 laps, IF it meats all safety reqirements AND one of their instructors rides shotgun.
can the invos and ps-2's handle a couple hot laps w/o needing quick replacement?
thanks again, you guys are great!
tom

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Car and Driver tests of 11 tires say KUMHO XS and PS2 are at the top when DRY.
PS2 at the top WET. Amazing wet, personal knowledge. Kumho decent at speed limits wet

The other brand corners at # 10 of 11 tested....not good on a banked super-oval!

OP
OP
T

tomob1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks jonb
sounds like ps-2's are the way to go.
do you, or someone here sell them?
thanks
tom

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks jonb
sounds like ps-2's are the way to go.
do you, or someone here sell them?
thanks
tom

JonB is the man to talk to when you need something Viper related!!!

Sorry, had to edit....this question just made me chuckle!

Last edited:
F

FrgMstr

I love my Kumho XS tires.....all the way around. Great dry traction. These are very good at letting you know where the limits of adhesion are by telegraphing to you when they are thinking of letting loose. I don't drive my car in the rain, so I don't much care about wet traction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960