Rear View Mirror Fell Off? Is This Normal?

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys...so long story short...my little cousin was driving my Viper as i am away, and he said the rear view mirror just fell off...it was a pretty hot day and i am wondering if this is physically possible...i have been trying to find out online i this is normal but figured i would try my luck here and see if anyone has had this happen...

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It happens and scares the hell out of you when it does. Darc Shadow had it happen in his Gen II a week or so ago. It always seems to happen when it's really hot out. I have my radar attached to mine, so I'll probably get to enjoy the repair before long. :D

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Normal occurrence for most any car, they are just glued on. I've probably put a dozen or so back on over the last 35 years sometimes more than once in the same car. You can get a glue kit at any parts store, only takes a few minutes. :usa: I would still tell him he owes you a complete detail service just for the inconvenience. :cool:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you have a little fun with him?
Tell him you asked around and the only reports you ever got of it happening was when someone was really dogging the car causing a little flex around the windshield causing the mirror to pop off. Reiterate to him that it ONLY happens when someone is really beating the **** out of the car.
He's having fun with your car while you're away. You may as well have a little fun with him too! :)

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tell him you asked around and the only reports you ever got of it happening was when someone was really dogging the car causing a little flex around the windshield causing the mirror to pop off. Reiterate to him that it ONLY happens when someone is really beating the **** out of the car.
He's having fun with your car while you're away. You may as well have a little fun with him too! :)

+1

It requires a special Viper glue to hold due to the torque it must embrace. The Viper glue goes for around $200 an ounce. An ounce might work, but most people need 2 to be sure it doesn't fall off in the future.

And to stay on topic - I've had this happen with a car that was around 10 years old. I was young and didn't know better, was borrowing 1 of my parent's vehicles, and freaked out. I wasn't exactly sober, and when trying to fix it I just used elmer's glue. I also didn't think to take the mirror off the bracket, and the mirror made it too heavy for the glue to dry correctly. It ended up falling off and my mother brought it to her normal mechanic that she trusted, and he only charged her $150 to glue it back on... such a nice guy. That was when I first learned about shady mechanics.

If you are to fix it yourself, get automotive glue designed for this purpose, and I haven't really looked at the rear view mirror mount, but if it comes apart, take it apart and glue the mount on then put the mirror back on when it is dry the next day.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me, very easy $5 fix. Just make sure to buy the premium kit if availble. I think it happens more in sports cars simply because of tighter suspensions/rougher rides...Just be sure to use some windex and a razor to clean off the old glue...BTW it comes apart just like any other car mirror, nothing special or different about it so I'm sure you already no don't try to glue it with mirror still attached to plate...

Last edited:

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thats probably the truth anyways...well the dogging part at least...

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just happened in my 2003 Jeep... must be that DC glue LOL

OP
OP
W

weeten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys...i was just too stressed out to play around with him...even though i know it could have been good, lol...

it so hard when youre away and someone else is taking care of your car...i barely slept last night...

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As Bird said, mine just fell off last week. Easy fix, didn't even need a razor blade, the "glue" looked to be more like a double sided sticker, it just pealed right off the glass. Little glass cleaner and a 3M rear view mirror glue kit and all is good. $4 and about 10min of time.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, heat will cause this to happen?

I'm screwed, living in Arizona. It hit 110 yesterday...:firedev::firedev::firedev:

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy fix, didn't even need a razor blade, the "glue" looked to be more like a double sided sticker

they sell repair kits that use the double sided tape kit instead of the glue but they don't hold half as good as the glue, you should be good for at least 5 years now depending on your weather...

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, I used the glue, I was refering to what I pulled off the glass after the mirror fell off.

The plus side of the mirror falling off though, I moved it about an inch higher on the window, makes a huge difference in being able to see out the window. I considered moving it to the right a bit to get even more visibility but I knew having it off center would drive my nuts from an aesthetic point of view.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala