Rear view mirror

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to viperland but would like to know if there is a fix to the location of the rear view mirror. The stock location gives me a blind spot so it is almost impossible to see a car to the right of me at a 4 way stop. If the mirror could be moved about 3 to 4 inches lower this would be perfect. I could lower the seat and this would help but it is sort of expensive. Does any aftermarket company make an extension?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's very easy and inexpensive.

Loosen the screw (look from underneath) that holds the arm to the piece glued to the glass. Disconnect the wire for the light and remove the mirror and arm. A small metal part will be left on the glass. It is attached to the glass with a very thin, clear, double-sticky tape. You can get this metal piece off by working a razor blade under it.

Then purchase a windshield mirror repair glue kit. Reglue the part you've cut off wherever you want it. I moved mine about 5 inches to the right so you view rearwards just over the passenger's left shoulder. (I've also installed lower seats.)

Before you do any of this, loosen the screw and remove the mirror, then move it around (perhaps have someone actually hold it against the glass) to see where you want it. I think just going lower isn't what you want, but moving it to the right will help remove the blind spot. Good luck.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem on my RT. I took it to a glass shop and he heated the windshield where the mirror bracket is from the outside then popped the mirror. It melted and softened the glue. Then I sat in the seat and he regluded it where I wanted it. Cost me $12.00. Take it to a glass shop.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think the original glue would be reuseable, but if it is, do that. The aftermarket stuff is "super glue" and dries hard. Will last for a few years, then comes off, so now I carry a spare tube.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mirror mounting kit that Tome is speaking about is made by Permatex and is sold at NAPA stores. The NAPA part number is 765-1184

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can soften the glue by heating the lighter element and pressing it against the metal tab on the inside of the windshield. This will work and not damage the windshield. To install the tab (not the mirror and the tab), buy a locktite mirror adhesive kit and follow the directions. A trick I found when installing the tab is to rough up the attachment area on the windshield with sand paper or emory cloth prior to glueing. Remember to ONLY glue the metal tab and let it sit over night before you try hanging the mirror. John

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine