Rear wheel breaks off!!!

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How fast was this guy going on the track? Why not make the reinforcement bracket even thicker and stronger to be safe?

This is ridiculous and has me paranoid about high speed runs with the car. I thought having to worry about the back end coming out was enough. This sounds like a casting mistake by Chrysler how do we get this problem fixed before someone dies? Problem is everyone will think it was bad driving

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How fast was this guy going on the track? Why not make the reinforcement bracket even thicker and stronger to be safe?

This is ridiculous and has me paranoid about high speed runs with the car. I thought having to worry about the back end coming out was enough. This sounds like a casting mistake by Chrysler how do we get this problem fixed before someone dies? Problem is everyone will think it was bad driving

I really don't think you need to worry so much about it and certainly you don't need to be paranoid.
Any casting process, and I do mean any casting process will always have the potential to have voids and areas of weakness in them.
This is common throughout every thing that has cast parts... It's not an epidemic.
I guess that's why they say ignorance is bliss! :)

Enjoy your car! ;)

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I remember correctly he was in excess of 140.

It doesn't need to be any thicker. It worked as designed. Its there as a "safety net" only. You dont seem to understand. IT WORKED. HE SAVED THE CAR. It is not meant as a replacement for the casting.

There are thousands of Gen 2-3-4 vipers out there that have traveled literally millions of miles without incident. If you are that concerned, think about buying a Gen 1 with the steel suspension. No worries then.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen this before but it was AFTER hitting something.

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I must say this post really shook me up. Having just retired after 40 years as an aircraft mechanic I understand metal fatigue very well and the need for regular testing of stressed components using NDT methods such as ultra sound. One can only imagine the consequences of having this happens on a twisy road wih other cars around. So now we have to worry about this. I guess the thing to do now is take the things off and take them down for testing. Is there anyone on this site that has contacts with the factory engineering dept. that could come on and say something to ease our concerns,. But there, I for one will address the problem myself. We have no choice do we?.

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A question regarding the installation of the Snake Oyl support kit... Does the installation require the drilling/tapping or removal of the rear upright? thanks Lynn

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of a comp coupe that had a very high speed off track excursion. This car has the toe link kit installed. You will notice that the toe link reinforcement is bent, but it kept the wheel straight and not turned into the wheel well like the unfortunate OP.

The driver stated that he felt a wobble but he was able to keep full control as he stopped. He was actually able to drive the car back to the pits. I am just trying offer some reassurance. I will not say its 100% failsafe, as I don’t believe anything is, but I personally look at it as cheap insurance.

The half shaft and the upright broke just as he was entering the pits.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Steve is the toe link kit you speak of here diffrient from the support mount that's being discussed or is that the same part.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve is the toe link kit you speak of here diffrient from the support mount that's being discussed or is that the same part.

They are different. I have the toe link supports and they are a must have for anyone that tracks their car as it really helps the stability of rear of the car under braking. I do not have this kit but it prob wouldn't hurt.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are different. I have the toe link supports and they are a must have for anyone that tracks their car as it really helps the stability of rear of the car under braking. I do not have this kit but it prob wouldn't hurt.

Can you please clarify the toe link part? Do you have a Gen 2 or or Gen 3/4? I've not heard of a toe link support....probably not a bad thing to have, especially with stickier tires.

Thanks in advance,
George

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you please clarify the toe link part? Do you have a Gen 2 or or Gen 3/4? I've not heard of a toe link support....probably not a bad thing to have, especially with stickier tires.

Thanks in advance,
George

Archer Racing developed the brackets. I have a Gen 2. I don't believe the Gen 3's require the strengthening toe brackets.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is whats available for Gen 3's

http://www.snakeoylproducts.com/product.php?productid=17790&cat=341&page=2

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Archer Racing developed the brackets. I have a Gen 2. I don't believe the Gen 3's require the strengthening toe brackets.

We run the support brackets on my Comp coupe team and I have been told they came from the factory on all the ACR X cars (can someone please check if you have an X)

I agree the supports are more of a race item, My concern is if I ever hit anything with a rear wheel I do not want to make it worst by being steered into the ditch.

The toe link kit you are showing is much stronger then the stock parts, But the stock rear inner and outer tie rod assembly do not typically break off, they bend.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not anywhere near the Gen 3/4 cars. SnakeOyl does make a Gen2 version of the toe link supports for those who want peace of mind...

Steve A.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahahahahah, you guys are so gullable, no defect or from hammering, it got put in the ditch and then broke- period

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We run the support brackets on my Comp coupe team and I have been told they came from the factory on all the ACR X cars (can someone please check if you have an X)

I agree the supports are more of a race item, My concern is if I ever hit anything with a rear wheel I do not want to make it worst by being steered into the ditch.

The toe link kit you are showing is much stronger then the stock parts, But the stock rear inner and outer tie rod assembly do not typically break off, they bend.
no bracket on x car those brackets are for banging and bashing in a race

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

it is from bad driveing, dont wreck and your knuckle will last forever, or get run into

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also keep in mind, its better to break that knuckle(thats where they break 99 percent of time) than to bend up alot more, its kind of a good thing for the most part, unless you are wheel to wheel raceing, you dont want those braces. that stock knuckle will never break on its own

Last edited:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also keep in mind, its better to break that knuckle(thats where they break 99 percent of time) than to bend up alot more, its kind of a good thing for the most part, unless you are wheel to wheel raceing, you dont want those braces. that stock knuckle will never break on its own

The OP's broke while driving around not from hitting anything.

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All: After reading this thread (and scaring myself considerably in the process), I too purchased the reinforcing brackets from Snake Oyl and had Dan Cragin install them today. Perhaps it was unnecessary; however, at the least I won't be wizzing down the LA freeways while wondering in the back of my mind if a broken support is going to send me to places I would rather avoid. Dan's new shop, Specialty Performance in Alhambra, CA did a prompt and efficient job on this and a few other tasks. Although having known of him for years, this was my first dealing with Dan and his team and I will certainly be using them in the future. Give them a try for your Viper maintenance. (Labor cost for the installation was $110.00) Thanks, Lynn

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
makes you think???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang