recommend the most comfortable coilover setup for Gen III

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi! I've had the 05 Viper for a month. I did notice that on the highway, that the car pogos a bit. Seems like it needs more damping, but I guess the stock suspension is not adjustable?

Motons sound great, but maybe out of my price range. I am just looking to lower the car and get rid of the pogo, without introducing any harshness/noise. Motons obviously work, what is the next best set that are sufficiently cheaper than Motons to make it worth it?

I saw Viper Specialties also sells something, but haven't seen any comparison versus others.

Not to hijack - but just figured I should ask if you just got this 05 does it have newer tires on it? Some Vipers are so low mileage I could almost see a set of run flats still on there... The runflat tires will give you pogo, jitter, horrible ride quality. (and of course they're not safe if they're old)
And for the OP, tire size and compound is going to be another variable for your ride quality....

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack - but just figured I should ask if you just got this 05 does it have newer tires on it? Some Vipers are so low mileage I could almost see a set of run flats still on there... The runflat tires will give you pogo, jitter, horrible ride quality. (and of course they're not safe if they're old)
And for the OP, tire size and compound is going to be another variable for your ride quality....

I swapped out the runflats for new Pilot Super Sports immediately. So this pogo-ing does not seem to be tire related. I think it is exacerbated by the fact that the seat is so close to the rear wheel, so there is a lot more vertical movement than in a normal car. I sense some see-saw from from to back as well.

Whether its under-sprung and over-damped, or just under-damped... it just doesn't feel right.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Not exactly true, more like under sprung and over damped. We use spring rates with the MCS's that are 2X the factory rate with a shock valving that works "with" the spring rate.

The MCS and the older version of the Moton Shocks are so superior at damping that you can use higher spring rates, lower the car more without rubbing, the car will handle, stop and go better, tire wear is better, etc. all with an improved ride and completely adjustable ride height, shock and spring rates to boot.

Whenever the wife and I take a longer trip in the Viper and fill the trunk with clothing (mostly hers!), etc., I just turn the compression up on the Motons one notch and we're good to go. Takes about a minute.

Good luck,

Dan

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to try my Billet Coilovers, feedback so far is great, they are sized for what you intend, so if you are going to run your car lowered we make and sell you a different size shock than if you plan on staying at stock height, this keeps the shocks operating at their optimal range. The pictures below have the features listed but if you have any questions feel free to ask. We have 7 sets of these being built and shipped this week, we would like nothing more than to make eight!

They are $1500 a set plus shipping

Reaction score
The KW's at $2500 is a decent shock and lots of company's re brand them because they can knock out thousands of sets a year, but they do not ride the same as an MCS nor can they possibly handle as well as a precision built shock system. That being said consider that the $1500 shocks above have $500 worth of springs so the actual shocks RETAIL for $250 each? Single adjustable (steel) Koni's cost more then that WHOLESALE. Not sure what kind of quality $250 buys when talking Viper shocks, but I wouldn't even run a $1700 set of Koni's on a Mustang let alone a $90K Viper capable of 200 mph, but that is just my opinion and I know that is all it is.

I know there are lots of choices out there and coming from your side of the table, being sold crap from every vendor with a website or a phone for 15 years while I was tracking and autocrossing I was just fed up. When Woodhouse called and offered me this job 9 and a half years ago I made it my mission to ONLY offer products that people would not be disappointed with. We try and answer any and all questions with honesty and integrity and if I don't know the answer I'm ok telling you, and then finding the answer even if it leads to me not selling you anything. Trust this, I can guarantee no one will ever be disappointed with the money they just spent on a set of MCS's, I don't need to wait for feedback I can promise you that right now.

Thanks, hope that did not come out to harsh,