Recommention on 94 Dash Trim???

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All:

I have a 94 with gray/black interior and like others I have seen here, the dash is showing its age. The soft gray is scratched and looking a little ugly, so I want to do something about it. I have removed all the dash trim following instructions I found on the forums. I was planning to strip and repaint the original parts a satin black....I like that look and also saw a few other forum postings where guys went that way with good results.

My dilemma is that I noticed the left and right door trim bezel covers are cracked around the screw holes. Wondering what guidance/advise you may have. I am considering three options.

1) Strip and repaint as planned, live with the cracks, don't tighten screws down too much and just hope the parts holds up and cracks don't spread.
2) Replace the original parts with oem replacement like https://www.viperpartsofamerica.com...dge-viper-left-door-trim-bezel-cover-0fj58sx4
3) Get a whole dash kit like http://catalog.dashtrimkitstore.com/dodge-viper-complete-trim-kit-year-1992-1996

• Option 1 is cheapest, but lots of labor.
  • With Option 2, each left/right trip parts is $90+, so I would be at $180 for the door parts plus labor of refinishing the dash
  • With Option 3, it looks like these kits are about $300-$400, but less labor. I have no experience with these type of kits. Has anyone had success and would you recommend a particular type of kit? I'd like to go with something that looks factory original (like matching gray or satin black), not a radical carbon, wood, or metal. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about money.

I went the cheap way and fixed a cracked door pull bezel with glue than striped my dash and painted it a 'mat' black. looks fine to me. (gen 1 is supposed to be a rough car) Total expense was aroud $20.

You must be registered for see images attach

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with #1, probably as most Gen 1's have .... used some rubber washers around the screws and didn't tighten to much, cracks are still there but no biggie. It's pretty easy and results are well worth it

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all about money.

I went the cheap way and fixed a cracked door pull bezel with glue than striped my dash and painted it a 'mat' black. looks fine to me. (gen 1 is supposed to be a rough car) Total expense was aroud $20.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the pic. That looks good. I noticed you have an after market stereo. What model did you go with? That's up next on my list too.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
DON'T do a dash trim kit, it will not look good and will devalue your car. Strip and repaint.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic. That looks good. I noticed you have an after market stereo. What model did you go with? That's up next on my list too.

I put in a JVC (something or other)... I wanted to be able to control my Ipod. More importantly, I've also customized my 'subwoofers' by designing a custom vented box/speaker combo that hides behind the plastic. Not that any of it matters. This is one car was NOT built around the sound system. heck, I can't hear it anyway.

Cheers

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, I think that's the way I am leaning. What did you strip the soft gray paint with?

Try the search function.

The old paint comes off with oven cleaner and some steel wool. The rest is 'rattle can' spray paint from Home Depot...and elbow grease. It's really pretty easy.

OP
OP
J

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am making quite a bit of progress on my dash refinishing project. The gray paint comes off pretty easy with oven cleaner and a scotch bright pad. What did you guys do about the parts that had black from the factory. I wasn't sure whether to mask that off and paint over it or strip it down. I tested on the center section. The black paint is definitely tougher to remove than the gray paint. I am thinking for the big dash piece, I might mask off the black painted areas around the instrument bezels so no oven cleaner gest on it, and just strip the gray only. I'll leave the black in place and then paint over. I would scuff it up before priming, of course.

How did you other guys that refinished your dash tackle this? Strip the black or paint over it?
Also, I am torn between flat black and satin black. Any suggestions?

BTW, my door handle bezel covers had a few cracks particuarly around screw holes. I looked up getting replacement parts on-line. They are going for almost $100 each. I noticed in another thread someone had mentioned using an ABS solvent cement like Weld-On 4707. So, I ordered some of that, and it seems to work great. It chemically fuses the ABS material back together. The hardened compound is toolabe/sandable. So I was able to knock it down using some 220 grit sand paper, and then worked my way down to 1000. With the finished product, the cracks are imperceptable. You can barely see where the lines were, and you cannot feel them. Once I go over with primer....it should be good as new. Just wanted to reply with my experience with the ABS solvent cement approach to repairing and refinishing broken/cracked ABS trim. Seems to work great.