Reminder to do good PM

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS is pretty much now just a school car. Yesterday I had it out for one of its bimonthly trips around town to keep things running and noticed a clunking from the rear end when I lifted throttle. I looked all over the interior (it sounding like the noise was coming from inside the car) and found nothing loose. I checked the mounts for the rear wing, they were a bit loose, but tightening them did not fix the problem. I then noticed I could coast, clutch in, and make the sound occur by moving the shifter back and forth. Then I began thinking driveline. Last year I had a 3.55 chunk installed and it greatly improved the car. I have not driven the car much since the install, one Viperdays and about 100 street miles. I put the car on a lift and inspected the driveline. I found the bolt which goes through the drivers side anti-toe bracket and rear differential mount to be missing its nut, and it had backed about half way out. I replaced the nut, retorqued all the mounting nuts and bolts ( 2 of the 3 remaining were a little loose) and the sound dissappeared. I guess the take home message is as these cars are modified it is imperative to recheck the new systems at intervals to make sure everything stays together. I think I might have had a disaster if that bolt had actually fallen out. I never noted any other issue with drivability on the street before the noise started.

LIVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You definitely got lucky that did not let loose.

BTW, I thought this was going to be an article on dietary fiber?!? :smirk:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I put the car on a lift and inspected the driveline. I found the bolt which goes through the drivers side anti-toe bracket and rear differential mount to be missing its nut, and it had backed about half way out. I replaced the nut, retorqued all the mounting nuts and bolts ( 2 of the 3 remaining were a little loose) and the sound dissappeared. ...

TacDoc,

Great writeup! For the inexperienced eg. ME could you take a picture of the location and post on the web for learning purposes. Anytime I can pick up a kernel of knowledge its ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for the post,

Jay (Not H.) K.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg,
Your lesson is a good one. In your case, it may have been Technician error. But it's a good reminder to periodically inspect the various suspension parts, driveline, brake lines, etc. Good post.

OP
OP
T

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will try and get a pic this weekend and post. The mount is very high in the rear of the car and takes a bit of effort to see. I suppose it was because of its high location that made it sound like it was coming from inside the car. I am convinced the anti-toe bracket held the mounting point together because it sort of clamped the mount to the frame.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96