Removal of CATS

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand removing the CATS will reduce the sill heat. I am concerned about exhaust harmonic drone as I have had that problems after modifying other exhaust systems and it was horrible. My only objective is to reduce heat and limit added noise if I get more HP that is of course a good thing. What is my best alternative?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some RT Hi-Flow cats! Do a corsa track exhaust and you can touch the side sills no problem even on a hot day!

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get some RT Hi-Flow cats! Do a corsa track exhaust and you can touch the side sills no problem even on a hot day!

But what about sound? I did a cat delete in my former 96, and it became much too loud for my taste. I would love to go with hi-flow cats, but I also like the car quiet. Can those two concepts work together, and if so, how?

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you keep the rpm's low the car is not that loud! Once you get on it thats when it gets really loud! If not do a secondary cat delete and do the Corsa exhaust! The sound doesn't change much with the seconary cat gone.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went with the Corsa Track and the RT cats, got rid of the heat prob but too
loud and too much drone. Added CCI 3 disk inserts from Summit Racing, cut
the noise down nicely. Good rumble at idle, fairly quite at cruise with no
drone and loud when you want it to be.

Herc :usa:

viperkraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call Velocity Performance at 9723899877. They have done several ex. systems on SRT10s. They can build or order anything you want, plus they are right down the road.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it will...the secondary cat is a high flow cat anyways! Hollowing it out will not help that much! Theres a chance of it just leading to problems. (Info from Chuck Tator when I was considering this route!)

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just sold a load of scrap cats, to a recycler, and I showed him the Viper sec. cats, and to my surprise, he said they are not really a cat at all. He said the substrate material, was nothing more than a wire grid, and has zero platinum or paladium in them. I was hoping they had regular cat material in them, as catalytic converters are at the world record high. I was paid $60.00 each for the GM style cats, and this is a scrap metal value. I'm sure they will be making a good mark up at that price.

This tells me the so called sec. cat is no more than a back pressure device to help heat up the primary cats. It does act as a silencer I suppose.

No one has really ever explained the sec. cats function, but it by no means has material in it as a primary cat does, so it's not a catalitic converter. Non the less, they appear to be very restrictive. Sure would like to know more about this.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the secondaries are only there to help reduce emissions during start-up, once the exhaust system is hot and the primaries become efficient they do nothing more than block the exhaust flow some (and probably muffle the sound a little). No O2 sensors downstream of the secondaries so the cars diagnostics system will never know if they are gone. To me paying for installation of "hi-flow" secondaries is a waste of $$. Gut them if you want or cut them out (although of course I would never recommend or do this - he he he).

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Been down this road. Tried almost everything. I too like a relatively quiet car but still want the power. I settled on the full 3-inch B&B system, high flow cats and the B&B step headers. Some people will say it's too quiet at idle or low rpm and it's pretty quiet. At wot throttle, you know there's some serious power under the hood. I like the sound.

Best advice, consider where you want to end up sound wise and power wise. I spent a bunch of money on changes that didn't work out and got to do it over and over again. Tried Corsa tracks, they were great until I added headers, then too loud with a serious drone. Tried cones to quiet them down, no significant change. Tried different mufflers, no change. Put the stock crossover back in, quieter but lost hp.

Try the B&B. I'd be surprised if you don't like it. Ride in few Vipers with various exhausts - this is probably the best way to get what you want. Too loud for some may be just right for others.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viper X, good post I hate doing things twice. I've had my "fun" doing all different types of work on my last car, so on this one I want to do the minimum mods to get the maximum HP - and keep it streetworthy. It's fairly easy to get some big HP - keeping it driveable and reliable with a large HP increase is the hard part. The B&B is a really nice system, but big $$ for 30 or 40 HP. I've got a Paxton on my mind, any problems with it so far?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery