Removing HRE wheels

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall noticing a post or two in the past complaining about HRE wheels sticking to the hub and being difficult to remove, which I couldn't relate to because my 19" 545R's always came off easily. Well, I replaced them with the same wheel in 18" (to run drag radials), and after spending 45 minutes yesterday stomping the ******** loose to get them off so I could adjust my ride height, I now understand the problem. My question is, what if anything can be done about the problem? The notion of spraying WD-40 or Pam or something on parts that close to my brake rotors isn't appealing. :(

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
9 out of ten of the HRE wheels we remove give us this problem and it is very frustrating.We have installed/removed countless sets of CCW(purner)and they fall off.Great job John!!

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon Scott, I know you've come up with something for this--carbon fiber hub covers perhaps?? :) BTW, I would have bought the Purners if they were available in 18's.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it because of the bolt patterns are out of alignment or is the center hub hole too small? It sounds like their tolerance stack up doesn't match the Dodge tolerances.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tolerances are probably spot on. Carbon steel an aluminum expand and contract at different speeds when they cool they sometimes "lock" together. Electrolysis also plays a part.