Removing the Center Console Cover

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have taken the center console cover off multiple time and every time I feel like I am going to pull the emergency brake boot out of the console cover. My e-brake only lifts about 60 degrees off of full down. I just bought one of the carbon fiber covers, plus new boots and do not want to use excess force. Does anyone have a simple non-destructive trick for pulling the console cover.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull the ebrake up as far as it will go to start with. When I had factory brakes it was a stretch, but now with the DBB ebrake calipers on the back it will actually go past the final ratchet spot. Reason is that the DBB ebrake is actually not an ebrake, but a parking brake.

Parking brake = stopped car from rolling
Ebrake = stops a rolling car

Oops, that was a rant ;)

Anyway, lift the console from the rear of the car by the seats and pivot toward the rear view mirror. Keep the end by the radio down. When clear of the ebrake just lift toward the headliner to clear the front wings from the bolsters and that's it. Never had a problem.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pull the ebrake up as far as it will go to start with. When I had factory brakes it was a stretch, but now with the DBB ebrake calipers on the back it will actually go past the final ratchet spot. Reason is that the DBB ebrake is actually not an ebrake, but a parking brake.

Parking brake = stopped car from rolling
Ebrake = stops a rolling car

Oops, that was a rant ;)

Anyway, lift the console from the rear of the car by the seats and pivot toward the rear view mirror. Keep the end by the radio down. When clear of the ebrake just lift toward the headliner to clear the front wings from the bolsters and that's it. Never had a problem.

one problem is that my ebrake only lifts to about 45-90 degrees. It comes off, but, I am putting a lot of stress on the console and the boot hold-down.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't taken my console completely out, but Dave's suggestion for attacking the e-brake what has always worked in other cars. The shop manual for many cars will actually require that the e-brake cable be slacked to remove the center console. Make sure you go underneath the car and find where the cable splits to each rear hub assmembly... this (I'm asssuming the Viper assembly is similar to other vehicles) splitter bracket can fall out of engagement with the cable slacked, which can lead you to put everything back together and have no emergency brake when you pull the handle up. You can secure the connections with zip ties or tape to make sure you don't have to readjust. Getting the cables back into the bracket can be a real PIA by yourself.

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The e-brake boot has some small metal tabs that are bent over the center console to hold it in place.

Check the pics in this thread to see what I'm referring to http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/603364-Fixed-my-cracked-center-console

Not sure if you can get your hand under there and "release" the e-brake boot from the center console, but would be much easier than trying to loosen the e-brake cable and then re-tighten it.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The e-brake boot has some small metal tabs that are bent over the center console to hold it in place.

Check the pics in this thread to see what I'm referring to http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/603364-Fixed-my-cracked-center-console

Not sure if you can get your hand under there and "release" the e-brake boot from the center console, but would be much easier than trying to loosen the e-brake cable and then re-tighten it.

Just a thought.

It doesn't look like the ebrake can be loosened in the car. The metal frame/boot is siliconed together on mine. I am going to look at loosening the ebrake from underneath.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what the bottom of the console looks like...there wasn't any silicone holding the boot to the console, but there is some glue holding the leather boot to the metal boot frame...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I was in a hurry this morning and really didn't know if it was silicone, GOOP, glue or whatever...so I went with a slightly less technical adjective....I fixed it.

OP
OP
J

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what the bottom of the console looks like...there wasn't any silicone holding the boot to the console, but there is some glue holding the leather boot to the metal boot frame...

You must be registered for see images

Mine was silconed in from the factory. When I installed the new boots I used the Amazing Goop (Boot to metal) and then siliconed the assembly to the console, it will not come off. That video is good, I think my issue is the ebrake will not lift as high as the brake in the video. I am going to try and get some slack from down below. I can get it off, I just do not want to crack the new carbon fiber console.

Last edited: