Removing window tint

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, took my new to me 2006 Coupe to DMV Friday, the deputy walks out of the building to inspect the car and he is shaking his head as he walks up. Says the tint is way too dark and that the tint on the front windshield is completely illegal. So I drive home and start working on the glass. Using heat guns, hair dryers, and finally a steamer I get the tint off. All of the glue remains on the glass. Tried ammonia, lighter fluid, lacquer thinner, and finally went to the store and got adhesive remover. That with some 0000 steel wool did the trick but takes LOTS of elbow grease.

After this experience I will never put tint on a window again. Back to DMV this Friday to try again.

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn that *****. My tint guy had to remove my drivers side tint because I scratched it:mad:. It had only been on for three months. He "lifted" the corner and then used palmolive liquid soap and it came right off. Then used a razor blade lightly on the glass and everything came off. I had the windshield done on my Evo and it sure helps keep the heat out in the summer.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm...in my experience, a steamer pretty much takes the tint and the glue off. All the other methods you try generally leaves the glue. Sorry it didn't work out for you

OP
OP
C

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the car from Florida, the tint was older. Think maybe the sun caused the film and glue to separate. Didn't have any bubbles, but the tint was turning purple. I am hoping they let me keep the tint on the rear window, don't want to chance damaging the rear defroster.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the looks of tinted glass. I do however agree the really dark stuff is a problem for the cops not being able to see if somebody has a gun pointed two inches from their face.
Sorry for your troubles. Sounds like the sun really did a number on the glue.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the car from Florida, the tint was older. Think maybe the sun caused the film and glue to separate. Didn't have any bubbles, but the tint was turning purple. I am hoping they let me keep the tint on the rear window, don't want to chance damaging the rear defroster.

If it was turning purple, it was the cheapazz tint. Even with some age, decent tint will still come off nicely with a steamer.