Replacement Side Sill Heat Shield Material Needed

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My heat shields are wearing through to the fiberglass insulation where the cats are. Only about 12" is affected on both passenger and driver sides right around the cats.

Option 1: Any idea where I can purchase just a few feet of comparable heat shield material?

Option 2: Does anyone have used/new heat shields available?

Option 3: Has anyone got another idea for correcting this problem?

Thanks.

Newt

:usa:

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a call in to Jon B. yesterday, he'll call me today. I was surfing the web and found items that would work, but they were pretty expensive.

I like the idea of the "fabric" heat barrier, but am concerned if the fabric will hold up. What temp. do the cats get?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep a couple things in mind

1. Sill corrosion is caused by moisture in the sills and stock insulation gets wet if the alumnium wrap opens up, causing moisture. In earlier Vipers one side of the insulation wasn't even protected by the aluminum making it a problem every time water was introduced. This takes days to dry out in most cases. I'm told replacement sills cmoe with a heat shield barrier that is totally wrapped, not allowing the insulation to get wet.
2. Another member posted that he used the Summit insulation and promptly watched it catch on fire.

JGarrett

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Howdy Newt
Did you notice the burns on my sill at TWS. After tearing my shield at TMS we used a host of different materials while waiting for a replacement. ALL OF THEM caught on fire. My recommendation is use either OEM or the Inconel shield.
Cheers,
Jim

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim & Craig,

I did watch you catch on fire at TMS, I will give Jon B another call about OEM parts. This is exactly why I like this board so much. Excellent information that keeps me from making mistakes. Thanks.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt,
Get yourself some hi-flow cats before you put the new insulation so you won't burn through again.

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ray,

I have the HF cats on the car right now. I am not quite sure as to the reason it is deteriorating. Jon B told me that the white fabric inside of the aluminum is nomex. He said it won't catch on fire. All of this has me wanting to take the cats off, but it will add two points to the Viper Days class and bump me into super modified. Right now I am at the top of modified (13 points).

Newt